Joe Paterno Retires At End Of Season

Roman

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's sad that people are rallying to his defense. But that's what happens when one is worshipped like a God: said person can do no wrong.

God-like worship is especially dangerous when it comes to political leaders.

• Members

They need to send a shock to this school and the entire university system and suspend football from the college for a year to send the message just how serious this is. He as Coach was more powerful than the President and there needs to be something that takes that power away from the coach. Also, wasn't the Governor of the state in on this too? They all knew about it but put sports first.

• Members

I think that shows that some, just some, of our younger generation needs to look outside what they want and feel, and think about the huge picture. There are innocents that went through hell, and will continue to go through it. A coach and a football game ranks rather low in that equation.

• Members

There were some on ESPN who actually tried to defend McCurray for not getting that child out of there. I just find the whole affair truly disgusting. Now, it has been reported that Sangusty was 'pimping' the children out to boosters.

• Members

From what I've heard... I think Paterno is being thrown under the bus for the most part. Granted.. I haven't heard every llittle detail, so my opinion might change. Apparently, a grad student went to him and reported this. Then Paterno reported this to the higher ups at the university who were supposed to investigate, report to police, etc. They were the ones who were supposed to HANDLE it. If anyone is to blame, it's the grad student for not going directly to the police, becuase he is the one who witnessed the crime. If Paterno would go to the police, they would not investigate or bring charges, because he witnessed NOTHING, all he had was HEARSAY... nothing that would stand in a court of law, nothing that a prosecutor could bring charges with. Paterno had no way of knowing if this grad student was leveling accusations because they were TRUE... or he could have had some personal beef with Sandusky or vendetta... scorned wives all over this country level child molestation charges at their ex husbands in divorce proceedings every day which aren't true, just for revenge. I know two women who have done just that. So yes... Paterno could have done more, but he's also of the generation who sweeps crap under the rug, and realistically... what if he DID go to the police, or go public with this and it turned out NOT to be true? Is there anything wrong with him letting trained authorities handle the situation that he was not equipped to handle?

• Members

If the worst that's being done to Paterno is that he's been fired, I'm not sure how he's been thrown under the bus. If anything this makes him a martyr, and sympathetic. I read earlier today that some of those who were going to file charges are now unsure because of the riots on campus. So increasingly this seems to be about sympathy for Paterno, and those who suffered abuse are shamed into keeping quiet once again.

• Members

The issue with Paterno I think is we are not talking about an isolated incident involving the former Assistant Coach. In 1999 there was an incident where police and child welfare were involved but no charges were filed. If the university was unaware of Sanduskys issues, why did he then "retire" at the age of 55, he was told by Paterno he would never be head coach. and was never offered a coaching job anywhere else. This same person was able to maintain an Emeritus status at PSU with an office and full access to all facilities. Then the issue witnessed in 2002. But if you read the grand jury testimony there is a LOT more.

All the persons directly involved in this grand jury investigation are gone, the administrator it was reported to, the university police official was fired and charged, the president, and Paterno, The only one not fired was the grad student who witnessed the incident who is now also a coach on the team. There are likely many more involved who knew and the governor is suspect because the indictment did not get filed until after Paterno won his record breaking winning game. I suspect the entire coaching staff is done at the end of the season regardless.

As a teacher, you dont have to personally witness child abuse to report it. In fact in some states if as a teacher you suspect it and don

't, you are legally liable. I have no idea how PA works but I also thought there was a federal law as well.

I don't think the issue with Paterno and the President of the University is in what they did. Both followed the book, Its what they didn't do. People in positions of leadership are there for a reason, to make the sometimes unpopular decision for whats best or right. These men did nothing but put the interests of the university and football program above protecting the innocent. That's the crime. Not much different IMO that what the Catholic church did. What we have instead of parishers protecting dirty priests are students and alumni protecting undeserving men.

Archived