GH: Classic Thread

• Members

Clearly Guza hated Courtney and the Journey pairing.  Jason had two other viable options going with Elizabeth and Brenda and it was very obvious Elizabeth was just pushed aside for Courtney although I did like early Ric/Liz.   Courtney/AJ were the much more interesting pairing, but she ended up being wasted on Jason to her detriment.  Courtney would have been much more viable in the end if they kept her in the Q sphere, but after Jason they just put her in random pairings with Jax and Nik and despite Spencer neither pairing made any sort of sense.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

This is Friday, March, 18, 1996. So this would have been Guza's first month as headwriter. 

I'm still jumping around 1990s "General Hospital" but I've landed in 1990 and have made it from January to the end of April. Hardy has just taken over as EP from Wes Kenney and Palumbo is about to enter his second year as headwriter. I like most of the domestic stuff: the underplayed Tom/Simone/Harrison triangle (with Meg being weaved in), Lucas' mystery illness (we now know its diabetes), Lucy and Alan's relationship, and the impending doom that should come when Dawn learns about Monica's affair at the spa with Ward. It's the bigger stories that I struggle with. 

It was a shame to see Nicholas Walker in such a small role as the deranged Jimmy as he wrapped up his run in January. I really don't like the WSB stories. I don't mind the characters or the actors, but the stories themselves always seem to incorporate levels of insanity that make them hard to enjoy. For instance, the end of the Jimmy story has Robert faking his death and returning in disguise as "the Maestro," Katherine's old music teacher. It's not my cup of tea. I do appreciate the little moments like Anna wondering what impact all the losses, real and faked, will have on her daughter. I don't like how Anna is treated like she's "too emotional" in regards to Olivia Jerome and how that is seen as a weakness. Walker gave a strong performance towards the end as he had recall the differences between himself and Katherine growing up. There are little moments to like, but overall, I just don't enjoy it. 

This is immediately followed by Sean's aquisition of the Wellington collection, a set of rare and highly desired china that Sean apparently has wanted for years. Enter Jonathan Paget who is, at this time at least, Duke Lavery with a new face. I don't know why people didn't stop Greg Beecroft from performing his role as Paget with the odd speaking choice, but it was really distracting. The Paget stuff was mostly bland, but I did appreciate how the story emphasized that Sean use to work outside the lines of the law and that this was a reason that Anna/Robert should investigate Paget. It was more interesting as it builds nicely into the next adventure story. 

One of the most delightfully bizarre moments in the entire Paget story (I missed about three weeks from late February til early March) is Jonathan watching Julian Jerome host his last supper inspired mob meeting in the steam room of the sauna at Body Heat where Julian Jerome has a towel drapped around him as some sort of combo Judas/Jesus creation. The lighting is also fascinating as it has Jonathan watching through the vent which emphasizes the light/darkness. Visually, a stunningly surreal sequence, but just odd. 

My episodes picked up with the end of the Paget story with the standoff with Julian and Duke/Jonathan. I forget how short so many of the adventure stories in this era are. Beecroft is only around for about two months. I haven't finished the Casey/Lumina story, but that story is also only a bout two months. Nothing is ever around long enough to really have an impact. Not that I needed either story to continue to be quite honest. 

I was more disappointed my episode set is missing the final days of Olivia Jerome, who's pairing with Colton Shore was actually one of my favorite part of those early 1990 episodes. Whether or not mob princess Olivia was truly reformed or just faking it was fascinating as I think that she did truly love preacher Colton. It was bizarre seeing David Gale as the crooked judge on the case who Jeromes pay off and Casey Briggs in a recurring role as Olivia's defense attorney. Also, Dr. Walt Benson, who had been a recurring character for several years, ended up in Pittsburg after the Dermastatin deal went kaput. He's last scene talking to Monica's PI in January, 1990.  

The transition from Sharon Case to Lisa Fuller to Jennifer Guthrie in under four months is jarring. Fuller was too green. Case seemed more than functional in the role. I did like how her Dawn got to play the beginning of the character's self destruction when Tracey kept needling her before the Quartermaine television appearance. Guthrie isn't terrible, but she's not a warm presence, which, in a way, works because I don't always find Monica the most warm presence so like mother, like daughter. 

The Decker / Dawn / Ned story works for me. I like Michael Watson as the former carny, but I have no clue what's going on with the flashbacks to the carnival. Kurt McKinney's Ned works as the suave playboy, but, until they brought Wendy Masters to Port Charles, I didn't get the sense that Ned was anything but reformed. It seems now that Dawn and Decker are clearly the direction that Ned needs to be knocked down a few pegs. The fact that the show kept Ward/Monica's affair a secret for several years is impressive (or lazy because of the constant behind the scenes turnover), but I will say dropping the bomb on the verge of Dawn and Ned's marriage after Monica has prolonged her own decaying marriage to Alan to ensure Dawn's happiness, is just wonderful. I'm also realizing that this Monica/Ward story was seems to be the basis for the "Days of our Lives" story several years down the line with Jack and Laura under Reilly. 

I appreciate the minor schemers who have found their way onto the canvas. Wendy, the receptionist from the spa, came to respark something with Ned, only to learn that Ned is Decker and that Ned is infact the man she knew as Ward. It all fits very neat with Wendy then going to work at the gym with Colton and play as a potential post-Olivia love interest for him. They also seemed to test Colton with Katherine Delafield, which didn't really work for me, but, to be fair, Katherine doesn't really work for me. Other schemers like Clayton the adoption lawyer who is apparently in bed (figuratively more so than literally) with Gloria, the woman who runs the spa and has been making blackmail videos. In this post-Jerome Port Charles, it is nice to see someone who can wreck a little havoc without being completely over the top... 

Which leads me to Cesar Faison. I don't know how it is possible, but I find Cesar, Desiree, and Jacques camp at Wyndemere more off putting than the special effects in the Casey the alien plot. There are scenes with the trio with the monitors in the background and I find myself thinking this is dress rehearsal for the final year of the Aussie soap "Chances." I fully expect a half naked Jeremy Simms to walk into the shot at any moment. I appreciate that the story does pick up the secondary thread that Sean doesn't play by the rules by revealing that Sean and Cesar have a secret that Sean doesn't want out. Also, based on when Cesar "died," I can't help but wonder if there was at some point consideration of suggesting the Cesar, not Robert, was Robin's father. 

The Casey stuff is bizarre, but not as off putting as I expected it. I find the Robin / Casey friendship genuinely light at times, but, at other times, I am reminded this is a story about a pre-teen hiding her relationship with a grown man from her parents. I appreciate that the potential predator element was at least addressed with Tom Hardy's psychological examination of Casey and him trying to alievate Robert and Anna's concerns. The medical mystery of Casey gave the hospital crew something of value to do, and the powers of the crystal gave a nice delay to some of the lab work that they needed to push forward certain stories. 

Lynn Herring remains such a treasure. She manages to make anything Lucy does seem natural to her character. I've made it up to her and Alan's impromptu wedding at Aunt Charlene's house. I never realized the red wedding dress wasn't intentional on Lucy's part. The snickering from Tracey (who is done up in a way where I could see how someone could create the role of Felicia for Elliot but give the part to Linda Dano) is solid. Hugo Napier continues to just be comic relief, which is a shame because I think there is more to mine from that character given his ties to Tracey and Ned. I did like Tracey's little scam earlier in the year where she tries to get Larry brought up on domestic violence charges. Anyway, the Tracey / Scott / Lucy / Alan quartet is fun. Scott jockeying for power worked well and I did find Lucy's scheme to fake the board members messages quite humorous.

Speaking of the wedding and the board, Mickey Manners' Martin appears at Lucy and Alan's wedding as guest. He is hanging around Amanda Barrington. I believe that he may have been a ELQ stockholder who may have appeared earlier during the original board meeting held to boot Alan because of the affair, but I would have to go back and look. It's just odd that his name is Martin given that Marcus Smythe is still appearing as Martin Ross, the new head of the WSB. Also in random people popping up, Sadie, a homeless woman, first appears in April, 1990, and I know she later pops up in early 1991 when attorney Broxton (Norman Snow) is working on the tunnels under Port Charles to reroute the water from the Willow Shores complex. Finally, Stephen Kay appears in April 1990 as Jerry, an orderly at General Hospital who has a crush on Amy and gives her the crystal that both Casey and Faison are after. 

The stronger material always seems to come from the quieter stories that aren't being shown all the time and aren't padded with a ton of exposition scenes. Lucas falling into a coma led to some great scenes regarding the fact that Lucas' unknown origins means that the doctors are missing medical histories which could help lead to the origin of the crisis. This leads to Bobbie lashing out at Tony because she thinks he blames her because "whores cannot adopt babies legally." The follow up with Tony at Lucas' crib confessing to Lucas, with Bobbie listening, that he doesn't care about how Lucas came to them is a dry run for the inevitable Tony at BJ's bedside during the heart transplant story. Then, all of this baby drama, has lead Simone to realize she can no longer put off the paternity test because they should know who Tommy's father is. It's a nice intersection. Similarly, when Simone realizes that Felicia is pregnant as she plans on jetting out of Port Charles, Simone's warning to Felicia is a little more poignant given Simone's own situation. 

There seemed to be some marital tension between Audrey and Steve early in 1990 when Tom was in a downward spiral after Simone (Laura Carrington) had departed before she returned in the form of Stephanie Williams. I liked that Tom lashed out at Audrey and how this undermined her own marriage. I am not sure if I missed the resolution or it was just dropped, but I do wish it had played out a little bit longer or had dug a little deeper into Audrey's own paternity drama. 

In another case of the underused have stronger moments, Maree Cheatham's Charlene is such a treasure. She is sort of a playing a flashier Kate Rescott with as many husbands as Kate had children. I love Charlene confronting Lucy about the fancy apartment Alan has got for her reminding Lucy that, back in the day, Charlene too was a loose woman who has had to pay for the consequences. On the same track, there is a nice confrontation between Decker and Charlene where Decker informs Charlene he knows that Charlene was cheating on his dad and that was the real reason that his father took him and split. It's a shame that the working class Simpson/Moss/Shore crew will be dumped in a years time for the Eckerts. 

I am curious to see where the year ends up before Monty deconstructs everything in 1991. 

• Members

Charlene is the mother of both men. Charlene came to town first in September, 1987. She got hired as a housekeeper for Tony when he was married to Lucy. Lucy kept mum about the connection. Colton arrived in February or March 1988 just before the Writers Strike. Decker is the last to arrive in September/October 1989. Charlene, Colton, Carla, and Frankie all leave the country in February, 1991. They were casualties of the Monty purge of all characters that were introduced in her absence. Decker left town a week or so later after Dawn was murdered by Edge Jerome.

Some sources state that Dr. Eric Simpson was also Charlene’s son. I’m pretty sure that is not true. Eric is introduced in August 1991 or earlier. He wasn’t around when Charlene’s brood was. In late 1991, when AJ sets him up on drug charges, Eric has said his mother is having money issues and it doesn’t sound like he is talking about Charlene. 

• Members

Now I’ve made it through every episode of April 1981! The steam was back and I was hooked again.

i still don’t believe that it was just Luke and Laura that draw in the ratings. Robin Mattson is a phenomenal actress and had Some outstanding acting done during this month. While Luke/Laura their story was stalling during the last couple of months the Heather story was moving pretty fast.

Joe is still trying to get dirt on Heather and finding out her involvement in Diana’s death! He befriended her. I really like how he ain’t get fooled by her but still try’s to be civil to her.

Heather manages over the whole month to get the all clear to get out of the clinic fulltime and pretended like she finally got her memorie back. But she underestimated Sarah.

Sarah is an underrated character tbh. She don’t want Heather to leave her and started to mess with her “best friend”. She started to play dumb even though she wasn’t and threatened Heather. She even pretended to had an mental breakdown where she destroyed her toy. She then hid the gun to have something over Heather. She really messes with my girl Heather here and is not afraid to go all in.
Anne Logan has nightmares and is afraid of Heather. I really have to say that I don’t get the love for Anne Logan. She is the most irritating character ever.
Joe finally made it through his exams and the writers already squeezing him into every possible story where a lawyer is needed. Lol

The Ice Princess story didn’t bothered me much this month. I enjoyed the way they are building up the art auction and involved Lila and a lot of the main cast again. Can’t wait to see how the auction will play out in may.

Luke and Laura became close/friends again. We even got a bit more Lee Baldwin and his anger torwards Laura. 
Alexandria became so vile and power hungry. She was really frightening.. But James Duvall’s plot finally started moving again. He learned the full truth about the ice Princess being missing, two friends of his being dead. And we learned that he has a copy of the formula that they are after. 

Lesley and Tony Castle/Cassadine have some fresh chemistry and I like them going out. Especially because it drives Rick insane with jealousy. 

Alan vs Alexandria was one of my favorites this month. But Alexandria knows about Susan and him and her being pregnant. I hope Alan will fight back. I still wonder if Tracy was meant to play this story instead of Alexandria. I even loved that Alan mentioned his sister for the first time I. Months. He said that Alexandria doesn’t have the format Tracy has! Love it

Dr Noah Drake didn’t had much do since his arrival. But I enjoyed his romantic involvement with Bobbie. They are building it up slowly and they are kinda cute.

But the only thing really confusing me is the comeback of Hutch! After a 2 month break they are bringing Hutch back to the show and I don’t know why? He is so isolated from the rest of the canvas. There is no real purpose for his jail story and him being a dead man walking because Luke/Laura are involved in a different story and ain’t having much time for him.  I liked Hutch but this was unneeded for the writers to squeeze him back into Show

Edited by AMCOLTLLover

• Members

At the time there was a lot of hype about Rick Moses/Hutch. I think Gloria Monty really believed she had the magic touch and lightning would strike again a la Luke. But they struggled to find a way to reform him and integrate him into the story.

With writers strikes and backstage drama., Hutch got lost in the turmoil.

• Members

Because they became kind of a pop culture moment, they get an oversized amount of attention/credit within the greater whole.  The truth is the show was very strong, full of interesting characters, and for folks that were there from the beginning you still got to see Steve, Audrey, Jessie, and Lee, not to mention Lesley who had become a staple by then too.  Plus Diana and Peter Taylor, as of early 1980ish,  still being featured until their deaths.

By all accounts, the Luke and Laura phenomenon just took an already popular show and added more audience to it.  But they do get all the credit in the media because it is easier to focus on their wedding than the overall strength of the show.

We know Marland has said he never intended Luke to become a great love of Laura’s.  I think Scotty really benefitted from that relationship too.  It let Kin have more fun playing an angry, scheming, sarcastic opportunist than just a normal romantic lead.  Especially when you would see the more vulnerable Scott sometimes show up.  As cute as early Scotty was, I’m glad they let him become a rascal.

• Members

I found it to be nothing more than a stunt, and one that ultimately didn’t pay off beyond some minor media attention.  And I was completely over JFP/Guza’s misogyny on GH in regards to female characters.  They have retconned it repeatedly, so I’m not sure if Sam was assaulted or not by his version of Franco.  But back then it was skeezy.  I did kind of enjoy his creepy mom though.

• Members

According to Franco, she wasn't. But Ron Carlivati also wanted to undo his own retcons in 2014 and have Franco reveal he'd had Michael raped after all (and still keep him on the show as a romantic lead!), so I don't think we can generally trust a serial killer.

I thought GH securing what was then a major movie star for a suspense arc was a coup. It was the execution I found poor. On paper, Franco was an interesting idea for a short-term villain; what they did with it got very dumb very fast. It wasn't helped by Guza clearly salivating over another opportunity to prove he's not the soap opera guy by eagerly rolling out every show star to share scenes with Franco - awkwardly forcing scenes with Tony Geary, etc. that just felt so tryhard. It just felt embarrassing, like a small town sheriff trying to impress the FBI.

• Members

Don't worry, you're not alone. I think most of us here hate her lol!

Heather at this point was a great anti-heroine and her character was a good juxtaposition to Laura. Even though there characters don't cross paths very much they did have a brief interaction at Joe's party which I thought was interesting.

Yeah it was clear that they wanted to do something with him long-term, otherwise why else have all those endless prison scenes but as you say it didn't work out.