Ratings from the 70's

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

WOW. I had no idea. In all of the reading I've done about Bill Bell this is the first I've heard of this. Of course, learning that NBC almost did a 90 minute DAYS after AW's was also as shocking. Just found ATWT fans who hadn't yet learned that AW was always intended for NBC, never offered to CBS. These things where long-held common knowledge is debunked are fascinating to me. Thanks for another one. 

• Members

In the biography, Michael Brockman a high ranking ABC Daytime executive and others watched the debut episode of Restless and at the end admitted ..wow how fresh, bold and new ...and then we are in trouble! HA!

The Bells yes wanted CBS. I doubt they would have sabatoged the deal. In 1972, the Bells were not in a position to turn down a network and a production studio. CBS had a lot of PG owned soaps. The Bells wanted CBS and they got CBS...after ABC passed and NBC passed...CBS was the only network left. Remember when CBS wanted to expand Restless, Bill resisted and the network told the expansion would happen with or without him. Bill relented.

Edited by JoeCool

• Members

They wouldn't have had that kind of negotiating luxury to have sabotaged a deal! Then he was just the successful HW of DAYS. Lee was just a successful regional TV kind of variety & interview show person. 

And, yeah, I've always thought it interesting that Lin Bolen at NBC used flattery & studio space & money to get AW & DAYS on board. Then ABC also used the carrot on Agnes who probably couldn't believe the offer of studio space! But, with Bill CBS just used the stick. Hit him in the face to get his attention & then told him they WERE doing it with or without. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Great news...it didn't take as long as expected, but the missing 6 weeks of 1979 have been found. Still waiting for the remaining 4 weeks, but will post those when they arrive. I am also going to edit these in to the correct thread so these charts will be posted in order. 

FROM THE VAULT: WEEKLY DAYTIME NIELSEN RATINGS: WEEKS OF 5/28/79-6/1/79 & 6/4/79-6/8/79:

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

FROM THE VAULT: WEEKLY DAYTIME NIELSEN RATINGS: WEEKS OF 5/14/79-5/18/79 & 5/21/79-5/25/79:

Please register in order to view this content

So, that wraps up all of 1979! The charts have also been added into the correct portion of the thread, so you can read all of the 1978 and 1979 charts in order.

• Members

At GL:
Rita railed at Roger’s lies in court.  After summations were delivered, Roger was confident he would be acquitted, but Rita resolved to tell the truth about her rape.  Lucille rubbed it in to Amanda that she overheard Diane returning Ben’s wallet after they had spent a night together.  Ross showed an interest in Jackie.  Lainie was told that there’s no guarantee she’ll ever walk again.  Alan assigned Hope to decorate a villa he wants to give to Jackie.  Katie called from the “fat farm” and learned Hillary and Floyd are on the outs.  Ben wanted to quit his job, but Dianne assured him there would be no pressure on her part.

At GH:

Alan decided to reconcile with Monica just as she and Rick finally spend a night together after she saved Rick from further depression.  Laura was hospitalized after a car crash.  She had found Bobbie with Scotty, but was unaware that Bobbie had slipped him a mickey.  Lesley flew into Rick’s arms over Laura’s condition, but he and Monica remembered their vow to get together soon.  Bryan realized that Claudia had encouraged Laura to play cool while she and Scotty were split.  Luke laid into Bobbie about Scotty and warned that she shouldn’t toy with Roy, who is really stuck on her.  Gary was miffed that Gina wouldn’t go to New York on a book publicity trip because of her research.

and at DAYS:
Amanda was thrown for a curve when Greg arrived. He returned to Chicago after a night of marital “performance failure” and suspected that another guy is in the picture. Laura’s madness, which has Julie contemplating suicide, spread to Jennifer, whom Laura filled with nightmarish tales. Marie and Jordan met. Julie insisted she won’t give her blessing to a reconciliation between Trish and David. Mike borrowed money from practically everyone. Chris felt guilty about Greg and tried to cool it with Amanda. Marlena fretted when Donna came up with another expensive gift, this time for Samantha, who won a drama award. Don advised Phyllis that Neil can’t interfere in her stock-selling plans.