Ratings from the 70's

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
A RECORD FOR PREEMPTIONS??

On 10/5/79, the 90-minute Another World was preempted by 3 different shows! Password Plus (230-3), NLCS Playoff (3-330, which I guess started in a rain delay), because then a 20-minute Card Sharks aired from 330-350, and then the NLCS Playoff returned at 350. I've seen soaps preempted by two different shows, but this is the first time I can remember seeing 3! 

• Members

Search was reaping the benefits of the Corringtons stories that had begun in August 78 and building, particularly Travis and Liza.

Unfortunately the momentum wasn't sustained. They had Travis and Liza marry, which shortcircuited that couples story potential. And their follow up stories eg Beau/Cissy had none of the appeal of their initial run.

Guess that like a lot of writers they were able to come into a stale show and inject new energy but couldn't really follow through. And the next writers were worse. That was it for SFT.

Also interesting to see 2 30 min shows in the Top 5.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

March 5th & March 6th at 2 pm eastern (1979) 

AW first 90 min. show & death of John Randolph 3/5

GL Roger raped Holly 3/5

OLTL Karen Wolek was on the witness stand again & broke down & admitted being a prostitute 3/6

Sorry to duplicate this info. I looked & didn't see it. 

It was Fred Silverman's idea to take AW to 90 minutes. Basically rather than not being able to do good, he did harm. 

HUGE kudos, Jason, amazingly gracious of you to make the gift of so much of your time! Plus, unending thanks! 

Edited by Donna L. Bridges
oops

• Members

Fred Silverman, genius at ABC & CBS & then NBC, 1978-1980, 3 years, with incredible failures: Another World 90 minute show, I mean debacle, I mean total disaster, I mean Epic Failure so much so that an anonymous programmer said they did it because no one could think of anything else to do & the affiliates blamed the show for it. Supertrain, the most expensive TV show ever produced up to that point, a high-profile failure. Also failures The Big Show, Pink Lady & Hello, Larry. But, what good did he do? Hill Street Blues, Sho-Gun, Cheers, St. Elsewhere, The Facts of Life & Today. & the peacock logo. He set the stage for David Letterman even though it made Johnny Carson angry at him. And, he put Brandon Tartikoff in place, who took NBC to #1.