AMC Tribute Thread

• Members

Oddly about Jordan Charney--he was a temporary replacement for Phil only, but had worked with Agnes on AW as Sam Lucas (and went to Somerset), and then was Vince Wolek on OLTL from 75-77 which seems bizarre to me--I would never have cast the same actor as Vince as Phil--as well as returning to AMC briefly as Mr Bodine... I remember him most as Jack's boss on Three's Company, which makes me think he was more of a Vince than a Charlie... .

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Eileen was on from the start to about 1976. Patricia Roe, whom we saw, played her until 1972. IMDB says Alice Hirson was the third, but other sources list her as the second, and last, Eileen from 72-76. I am mortified because I thought Alice was dead, and had told people this over the last few years, only to see she's still alive and acting.

It's fascinating in these episodes how Ruth has to try to keep people from flying off the handle. She's just no-nonsense, even in the face of this huge lie. It's a shame that the fallout was never fully explored, since Amy and Ted were gone quickly.

I wish they'd cast someone like Dolph Sweet as Ted Brent. This Ted struggles badly with his lines.

I loved that Ruth/Amy phone call that was a split-screen! I didn't know they could do that on soaps in 1970.

That dream was a trip. I wish we could see it in color. It's very effective, especially the "trial." ABC soaps seemed to enjoy doing this - Dark Shadows got crazier and crazier with this over time.

I guess Marion was Linell Conway's mother. Christina Pickles played Linell. So pickled Marion was mother to Pickles.

• Members

It does seem that by 1975, I guess with Nixon gone, OLTL lost, or were starting to lose, a lot of their more quirky (and of course ethnic) characters, even though it seems like it still was faily solid, if not groundbreaking, soap, till it started to climb again. Patricia Roe doesn't have many screen credits, though Nixon mayhave known her from GL. I don't think I've seen Alice's soap work, though I do remember her as Ellen's mom on Ellen.

I am pretty sure (but it's just conjecture on my part), that Ted would have been recast if Agnes hadn't known he would be quickly killed off from the start--he stumbles over his lines in all the clips I've seen (there's a lot more of him in that Daytime to Remember episode where Erica has her speech, and Phil collapses in his place--with some hysterical/great dizzy visual effects--from a gas leak).

I guess split screens became possible as soon as they were no longer live, though you don't see a lot of it in older soaps. And yes, the dream would be even better in colour (I picture a lot of psychedelic effects...) I love that kind of stuff--of course even those old 1950 GL radio episodes of GL have some relatively out there nightmare and dream sequences with echoing voices, shrill organ music, etc. But it did seem to be more an ABC soap thing back then.

• Members
Lincoln Tyler (James Karen, 1970; Paul Dumont, 1971; Nicholas Pryor (1971); Peter White (1974–2005) is what Wiki says. I believe the 1971 episode that aired during the first I Love Lucci marathon has one of the second Lincs, but they seemed ot have trouble with casting him until White returned as the new Linc.

James Karen has a decent resume there. He looks more familiar from his character actor work in the 80s--when he was Pathmark spokesman and was in Poltergeist, etc He was a good 15 years older than Peter White, which may have been part of the issue.

Edited by EricMontreal22

• Members

Yeah, Linc moved away for a while. Karan certainly would have been too old (IMHO) for Kitty/Kelly... (and less than ten years Ruth Warrick's junior but I guess that's less of an issue).

Did they ever mention the name of Chuck's parents who died before the show in a crash, which is why Charles and Phoebe were looking after their grandson?

Edited by EricMontreal22

• Members

Linc was played by James Karen,who had previously been on ATWT as Susan's father.He was 47 at the time.Paul Dumont took over in 1970 until 71

Then Nicholas Pryor in 71,who was 36,so the character was de-aged, Linc was dropped and returned in 74 played by Peter White who at the time was 37.

• Members

In this clip Charles talks to Kate (the same first Kate actress I think, who comes off better here) about the death of Chuck's father--I forgot Phoebe was his step mom, not mother like with Linc and Ann. Was Paul Martin presumed dead when the show started--Kate mentions how he wasn't a prisoner of war, but is dead.

Edited by EricMontreal22