BBC Sitcom "Miranda"

EricMontreal22

• Members

Is anyone else watching the BBC sitcom, in its second year, Miranda? It's a squarely old fashioned sitcom, filmed in front of a live audience (the cast even dances and salutes the camera at the end of each episode), built around comedienne Miranda Hart who has done a number of French and Saunders, Slap the Pony, etc, roles. And it's *hilarious*--the first sitcom in I don't know how long that doesn't annoy me with its sometimes illy or slapstick humour but has me in hysterics. Even catchphrases, something I hate on most sitcoms, on here seem endearing. Such fun! Bear with me... bear with me... Maybe it's just been a while since I've seen a well done, traditional sitcom.

Even things I usually hate, like when Miranda looks or addresses the camera, I enjoy in Miranda.

One thing I appreciate, compared to current hit US sitcoms like Two and a Half Men, is the humour never feels mean spirited. And with a great supporting cast, including Sally Philips (also from Smack the Pony) and the divine Patricia Hodge (from countless classic BBC shows like The Naked Civil Servant and Rumpole of the Bailey and theatre including the RNationalTheatre A Little Night Music opposite Judi Dench).

You can see episode one on youtube, starting

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's precisely a large part of the charm--she is charming. One of the funniest female clowns (and I use that term in the Jennifer Saunders/Carol Burnett meaning) I've seen in a long time. The first episode is good, if a bit creaky but it only gets better and better from that. And :wub: Tom Ellis as Gary (even if Miranda Hart admits they hired him largely as eye candy to try to reverse the old school Britcom situation where they'd have a pretty woman as eye candy).

• Members

Tom Ellis played the hunky doctor who loved Little Mo (why I don't know) on Eastenders. Then he was in an episode of Doctor Who as the guy Martha loved, who was killed, but then reborn when the universe went back to its normal timeline. An idea that had great potential, only for the show to ignore it and just insultingly lump her in with Mickey, a man she barely knew and she would have had little interest in. Just one more slap in the face for Martha's character...

Archived