ABC to remake "Incredible Hulk"

DRW50

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

One of my favorite eppys

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HATc3lzSTfU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HATc3lzSTfU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HATc3lzSTfU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

• Members

I don't even know why they bother. Especially because even the executives and these hyphenates don't believe in this crap anymore. So many remakes flopped and so dismally, they would be insane to think this will become a hit. I just don't get it.

Everything in the industry points to people being suffocated by bad, uninteresting, rinse-and-repeat sh*t and towards something fresh and new being rewarded. You have to risk to get the payoff. New concepts, thus, not same ol', same ol'.

• Members

I think one of the things that seems to be happening with some of the remakes, Bionic Woman being a good example, is that the focus becomes the technology or the action, and the characters sort of take a back seat, lacking personality, charisma or chemistry amongst one another. The BW remake left me bored because 1) I didn't care about the characters and 2) most of the stories were "terrorist of the week" type stuff. Technology today, while it can be amazing in a procedural like NCIS or CSI, has also become sort of a deus ex machina...some computer or computer geek somewhere has the answer to everything.

I will say honestly that, while I never saw any Hulk incarnations besides the series (and some old cartoons), I would check out a new series, as I did with Hawaii 5-0 and BW simply out of nostalgic curiosity and decide for sure then. Both those remakes disappointed me because they were all flash and action and the characters themselves just didn't cut it for me. Hulk is a little different for me because I really loved the show and loved Bill Bixby and there were so many emotional nuances to the stories. It wasn't just about seeing what made David turn into the Hulk every week. There was that whole premise of his isolation because of his terrible secret, forming relationships with people, seeing how the Hulk wouldn't hurt and, in fact, would save the people David cared about, knowing that, despite the Hulk's rage, he never actually killed anybody because David wouldn't, watching David have to leave at the end before McGee caught up to him. The way shows are done today and the focus being on effects and wowing the eyeballs, it's usually my expectation of the emotional subtleties being lost or ignored, and the character interplay/chemistry lacking.

• Members

Exactly. I dont get the hate. Its not really a remake bc the character and franchsise exists before and beyond his old tv series. Comic characters have the longevity which lends them to be introduced to new audiences bc they are always relevant. He has an ongoing series, movies and this new tv show is supposed to be capitalizing on the Avengers film which will be released the summer before this comes to air

• Members

Yet none of the attempts to reinvent the Hulk in recent years have worked, and the TV show that was a hit had little to do with the actual Hulk comic.

Not to mention that Eick has already trashed one popular show by doing a lousy, flop remake.

I wonder how relevant any comic is today. Every time I try to read one it is just unending misery and continuity which is not only very confusing, but is rewritten within a few months or a few years anyway.

Archived