DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Members

1985-1986 EPISODE SUMMARIES NEEDED...

Expanded summaries are still needed for these 1985 & 1986 "Days" episodes. If anyone has access to the episodes and would like to write some summaries for the episode guide, it would be most helpful! If you do write one, just message me with the summary so I can add it to the episode guide. Thanks!

1985:

1/14/85
6/20/85
7/1/85-7/23/85
8/28/85-9/17/85
9/25/85-11/29/85
12/9/85-12/31/85

1986:

2/7/86-3/12/86
11/27/86

Edited by JAS0N47

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
A LOOK BACK AT THE "DAYS" FAMILY WE LOST IN 2023...

Please register in order to view this content

Sharon Acker (Pamela Fouchier, 1987-1988)

Nick Benedict (Curtis Reed, 1993-95, 1997, 1999-2001)

Tyler Christopher (Stefan DiMera, 2017-2019)

Cody Longo (Nicholas Alamain, 2011)

George McDaniel (Jordan Barr, 1979-1980)

John Sanderford (Crawford Decker, 2007-2008)

Phil Sogard ("Days" Director, 1992-2019)

Arleen Sorkin (Calliope Jones, 1984-1990, 1992, 2006, 2010)

Peter White (Bill Horton, 1987)

• Members

DAYS Classic: I'm doing a project about Real Roman, OG Roman, Wayne Northrup as Roman. It's called Roman, a jerk or not a jerk? 
11-15-91 Day 1 not a jerk.
11-17-91 Day 2 not a jerk.
11-18-91 Day 3 not a jerk.
11-19-91 Day 4 not on. 
11-20-91 Day 5 not on.
11-21-91 Day 6 not a jerk. Far from it. Romantic, funny, kind, talkative, gentle, absolutely at his best. 
11-22-91 Day 7 not on.
11-25-91 Day 8 not a jerk.
11-26-91 Day 9 not a jerk.
5-16-94  Day 10 not a jerk even though Marlena lies to him & tells him she's having a wonderful time with John, made to say so on phone by Stefano. Roman knows their marriage is over. 
11-27-91 Day 11 Roman not on.
11-29-91 Day 12 Roman not on.
4-8-94 Day 13 Not a jerk. 
4-11-94 Day 13 Not a jerk. It is clear to me that Marlena still wants to be with Roman. But he is going forward with a divorce. She wants him to forgive her. He can't stand that she loved John in the same way that she loved him.
12-2-91 Day 14 Not a jerk.
12-3-91 Day 15 Not a jerk.  Roman & John on hands & knees crawl into the Mayan pyramid. Outside Izzy & Marlena are awkward. Bo is mostly running from somewhere to here. Roman & John have to work together, which they do. Just as they finally get somewhere Lawrence & Gretchen catch up with them & hold them at gunpoint. Suddenly Stefano appears only we only hear him & see his shoes. It is not Joe Moscolo. Victor is chained to the wall. Carly finds him & frees him.
12-4-91 Day 16 Not a jerk. (12-31-23) No idea who is playing Stefano but their accent is horrible! John finally acknowledges that he is not Roman. Roman looks forward to putting his family back together, beginning with Marlena as his wife. She has a funny expression on her face as he expresses this.

• Members

While I appreciate your viewing and work I still think you have a broad take on Roman being a jerk.  I don't think Roman is a bad person or evil, but I think there are a lot of scenes that frame him as slightly misogynistic and kinda jerk-y.  I find him especially pushy with Marlena in the 1991 era to just pick up where they left off.  I would also suggest a lot of 1992 where he only cares about his job and not Marlena's.  After the affair, it's hard to blame him exactly, but Marlena was more than willing to make it work.   The affair is wrong, but it's a set of extraordinary circumstances that no one in real life is dealing with and I do think Marlena would have never cheated on him again.  Roman uses Sami's trauma to almost weaponized Marlena's flaws and I find it ugly.  Plus he just bails soon after.   Who would leave their traumatized children like that?  He was mad at their mother not them.

Roman then remained incommunicado for years and took the most dangerous ISA missions with no regard to his family while Marlena and John openly faced their actions and consequences.  Again, Wayne was fired, but that's kind of shitty behavior.  It's not like Carrie and Sami were living their best lives drama free while he was gone. 

Edited by carolineg

• Members
Posted (edited)

Maybe his last episode? I remember when he died and checking what his last episode was, it mentions Kate's Old Apartment, so maybe they had a Kate/Curtis newly-created flashback, which ended up being his last Days appearance.

9071...6/5/01:
Cast: Austin, Brady, Chloe, Fay, Jan, John, Kate, Marlena, Mimi, Philip, Sami, Curtis, Carl, Mona/Woman at Shelter, Boy/Ned, Girl, Cop, Belle (FBO), Jason (FBO), Shawn (FBO).
Sets: Jan's Bedroom, Chloe's Bedroom (Wesley), Area Below Chloe's Bedroom (Wesley), Marlena's Penthouse, Marlena's Bedroom, Diner & Exterior with Austin's Car, Homeless Shelter, Ext. Wesley House, Kate's Old Apartment, Physical Therapy Room.

Edited by JAS0N47

• Members

Well, I've just begun Dec. '91 so everything you say about after is stuff I've not re-watched yet. And, there's really nothing I can reply with except that when I watch it, I will see whatever I see. I know that in watching clips in the Ugly-X traffic that very frequently I would disagree with whatever was being captioned as the set-up to the clip and/or the reactions to what was seen. For example on the rare occasions when Roman & Marlena would have a fight I would see two people, both reasonable, both loving each other & having history & because of circumstances beyond their control they would have an argument or a fight & I would see good communication between people in a rough situation. Others would see Marlena as perfection & Roman as some sort of gargoyle. 

But, you have hit upon the thing that finally made me decide to do this project & that is that the very idea of Roman being a misogynist is so patently offensive to me that it warranted doing something. Roman historically is not only a good person but a very good person, a hero. There's no way a hero can be a misogynist. There's a whole range of people's reactions to RealRoman in the 90s. On one end people who say Wayne had really crummy writing. On the far other end are those who label him a misogynist. In between you find jerk, male chauvinist, and some people talk about us being a product of our times. 

From watching The Doctors back in its original run as a teen & re-watching it now, I am feeling some of that!

See, I think how I would feel if I were in his position. Right now he has kissed her twice. Both times she first responded & then pulled away, to talk. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

I definitely think this is a topic very open to discussion.  I can find a lot of things I don't love about Roman, but I do have a John/Marlena bias.  They just work better IMO.  I guess I don't think Roman was an awful guy, but I do think he could have considered Marlena's feelings more. The actual position Roman was in was so awful post 1991.  People just liked John better lol?  My biggest complaint is how they wrote him off and it does make him a bit of an ass.

Edited by carolineg

• Members

And, we all have our biases & I was a huge RoMar fan. For the longest time I couldn't stand Drake. And it was ridiculous to consider him Roman. I mean, he just wasn't. So, the cop & the doc fans still exist. And there are places where you can talk about this & there are places where you just can't.