DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Members

I have really fond memories of and feelings for that era, even though I can now clearly see its drawbacks and failings. But I disagree about pacing, to some degree. I thought JER did an excellent job of building and sustaining suspense. The particulars usually turned out to be dumb or, uh, credulity-stretching, but I thought the overall long-term nature of the show worked and it's something I DEARLY miss today. 

Definitely agree about the tone and the dialogue. It's weird to be getting stories currently that have most of the same trappings -- the masks (which I'm sick of), fake deaths, etc. -- but the dialogue and production kind of feels... humdrum. And while they occasionally still hit it, it often feels like they're trying to emulate that specific tone and it misses. 

Don't get me wrong (and I know you won't agree with me here): I like a lot of the more down-to-earth stuff we've gotten in the years since JER, and there's plenty I appreciate about 2006-present. But there were hallmarks of his writing that I think did work well and don't get the credit they should because of the over-the-top trappings. I actually think, at its absolute core, JER's pacing is very classic soap!

I never had that hope for MarDar, for whatever reason, and I'm kinda glad because I thought their year absolutely sucked. It was the epitome of "good on paper and terrible in execution."

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I never heard it was JER himself, but NBC.  I could absolutely be wrong, but he didn't have much more material to extend it.

I can see your point.   I just felt day to day a lot of the dialogue got very stale and the show would build up to a climax that just wouldn't happen unless it was sweeps.  

• Members

Okay that I heard it was his choice could also be wrong. Someone was I think being indulgent & made a seat of the pants decision to just slap on some more months! Because it was definitely initially set to finish at Easter & they went much longer & it was not a good idea. It would have been stronger on the original timetable. 

• Members

I'm pretty sure that it was with Reilly that a day lasted like 2 weeks. There's nothing classic about being so out of proportion with time. Aristotle would plotz! 

I don't agree that his writing ever was elevated enough to call it parody. 

Edited by Donna L. Bridges

• Members

I really don't know, but I remember literal flashback episodes of the entirety of the Possession happening regularly.  I don't actually think it was JER's choice and I do think it went on a bit too long.  John was carrying "dead" Marlena in the streets in the rain for like two full episodes

Please register in order to view this content

The 90's dialogue on Days wasn't exactly a parody but it went like this:

Carrie- "I think Sami is up to something"

Marlena-"I think Kristen is lying"

And various versions of these same conversations over and over.  But I can't tell John/Austin because they would be heartbroken or some other nonsense.

• Members

Fair enough but some of the biggest payoffs didn’t happen in a sweeps month (Graceland wedding was June, Carrie exposing Sami was September, Hope/Gina was July/August).

The longer the wait, the more satisfying the payoff, IMHO. 

One of Passions’ biggest stories went on for almost eight years and wasn’t resolved until the final episode. The payoff was worth it to me but of course YMMV. 

Hard disagree. Soaps work best when days go on for weeks and weeks. One time a Passions day lasted for three months. It was wonderful!

The possession was supposed to wrap up in May 1995 but was extended to July 1995 because of the high ratings. Remember, because of the possession, Days was the only soap going up against OJ that increased in ratings. 

Another hard disagree. Marlena’s “time of death: any minute now!” as she poisoned Tony is one of the all-time greats! 

Personally that’s what I loved about it. I never found the men dumb, just earnest, particularly Austin and John. 

Aremid was great and I’m surprised it’s never been revisited like JER’s other classics.

• Members

Out of interest (and apologies if this is the wrong thread to ask this), does anyone know what the original plan for the Marlena serial killer storyline was supposed to be?

I recall JER or Corday giving an interview where it was stated that there were supposed to be 4 stages to the whole storyline with it culminating in a courtroom trial. Am I remembering this correctly? Wasn't there also supposed to be something about mirrors related to the plot as to why Marlena was doing the killings?

• Members

Yes he did say that about the stages and the trial. The killer (Marlena) was going to be executed. 

As far as I know the details of the original plan have never fully been revealed.

Edited by Lye-C