ALL: Old Soap Opera Message Board/Updates

• Members

Hey guys!, im not sure of many of you know this ( at least i didnt till a few weeks ago), but on the google groups page, there is an old Soap Opera Message Board/ Updates page that goes back from 1988 and ends at 2004. It is most active from 1990 till early 1995 though, but you can find old recaps of certain episodes of the soaps, that u would not see on soapcentral.com. Granted they are not day to day recaps (well they become more day to day in the 1993-1994 section) but each year and month you can find a good amount of recaps and such. and also there is another link for a group on there that continues the messages past 1994 to today, and you will be able to find more recaps from 1995 to 1996 (which is cool since the soapcentral recaps start at November 1996) anyways here is the link:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.tv.soaps/about?hl=en%3Fscoring%3Dd

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I must be stupid. When exactly did the Internet begin? lol

I was reading those backpages trying to read up on peoples' reactions to learning that Marlena would be possessed by the devil, but the archive stuff is so hard to track and follow. I'll click on a link about DAYS, and 90% of the messages are replys about GH or AMC or whatev. I don't get how it works. :wacko:

• Members

Thanks, I've read through some of these posts before because it's fun to read them as those famous tales of the 90s happened. We didn't get a computer and Internet until Christmas 1996 and it wasn't til some time later when one day I wondered what would happen if I looked up info on my soap operas lol.

• Members

For as much as Google did a great thing with publishing newsgroup archives, they turned it into a mess. The search feature is OK, but tends to miss things. The first newsreader I used, DejaNews, was extremely more efficient. Alas, I haven't heard of DejaNews in the last 8-10 years.

BBS/Usenet began in 1980/81, the World Wide Web 10 years later. Newsgroups were the only way of communicating before the Internet as we know it. If any of you had a Commodore 64, yes, you actually could access the internet with that thing, albeit very very slowly and at a very expensive rate, unless you lived in a major city. Actually, that held true until the mid-1990s. My part of America didn't get a local number until 1996 and that was through a weird technicality.

I didn't know about the mid-1980s group. I'm a sucker for initial reaction to the old storylines, so this is more than fun than it needs to be.

The main 1990s group linked in the first post is great for gossip. Or at least it is to someone who doesn't have old SODs lying around.

• Members

I like reading the original reactions from back when too. Especially reading up on when people were first hearing rumors that Marlena would become possessed. I read one posting where they read/heard a rumor where it made it sound like Stefano would be making a deal with the devil, literally, to possess and control her.

• Members

Yeah, the same thing happens to me too. I would go to click on a Y&R/B&B topic, and sometimes I get a different soap insted. I tried just clicking every topic going down in order, till i get to the ones i want to see, that makes it work better imo.

anyway, its hillarious and interesting to read all the old Y&R stuff. Even then people were complaining about the writing, even though it was done by Bill Bell himself.

Everybody seemed to really hate Lauralee Bell back then, which is hillarious. Not as hillarious that even before the Phyliss stuff, the fans called her "The Bug" (cause i always thought Phyliss invented that nickname for her).

I liked reading about how people were terrified of Sheila.

I learned that Heather Tom actually began on Y&R in December 1990, ( The 12th i think) not 1991 like everyone always said she did. ( she was recurring till march 1991 i think, then upgraded to contract)

yeah, lots of interesting tidbits about the show back then, glad i found it.! :)

• Members

That Y&R discussion is hilarious with my discovery one of poster loathing seeing Victor and Jill in bed together from that long ago forgotten pairing. I could at least agree on their confusion over the Blade/Rick story(Monday it was Rick, Tuesday it was Blade, Wednesday it was Rick)

The postings over the Marlena possession stuff is great because well as a kid back then with nothing all I could is discuss with my mom or read what the soap mags and reader letters had to say. It seems everyone had WTF reactions but kept on watching.

It's amazing back in 1993 someone suggested they could save Julie with a Julie/Victor/Vivian triangle, in hindsight that would potentially been brilliant.

Archived