Former GH Star To Y&R

• Members

YW, wink.gif

It's actually a pet peeve of mine - this assumption of "celebrity". And it goes both ways. First that the public thinks we have a right to know every detail about an actor's life and conversely that actors can draw us into their personal opinions/drama. I keep thinking..... can you imagine Jane Elliot 30 years ago talking about having to deny her "father" heart medication? The woman was accosted on the street a few times, but she didn't look for public support/sympathy because she was playing a character who wasn't real.

Would Marlon Brando speak about the hateful things he had to do in The Godfather?

Would Edward Olmos speak against what he did in Blade Runner?

Would Glen Close try to justify herself before Fatal Attraction?

No.... none of them would because they were professionals playing a role and that role came with some nasty stuff.

This whole attitude that actors/entertainers can and should use the public to sway opinions really came to a head with Rosie O'Donnell and Donald Trump, and while it backfired on both of them the path was laid for others to follow suit - namely act poorly in public and try to manipulate others into supporting their position. If actors are going to accept what they do then accept it. I'm not talking about the NLGs who pointedly joke or the TG's who say after the fact that they didn't like how something was done. I'm talking about those who set out to influence the public.

There is such a thing as decorum and class and appropriate behaviour. The thing is that negativity and manipulation like that sticks to the person like baby poop on a diaper, and that smell of being surrounded by crap lingers. The truly classy and appropriately closed mouth maintain the respect of those both inside and outside of their profession. Those who want to play the celebrity game are almost always destroyed by it. The "High Road" should be standard behaviour, not some reference to a Gaelic thoroughfare.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived