Y&R: Chance spoiler/rumor

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

With all due respect - NO!!! He's had two - count 'em, two - chances to make a career as an actor in soaps; and both times, he's been so bad, they've actually killed his character off, lol. Put an old fork in JDris; he's done. There's only one place he belongs, and that's behind the paint mixing station @ Lowe's. (Or on a Disney sitcom. Whichever comes first.)

• Members

LOL!

As Jill's grandson, an heir to the Chancellor fortune, and the product of one of Y&R's most memorable hookup/ONS storylines, Chance - a legacy character, IMO - is too valuable to the show to kill off. Recast him with a better actor? Yes. Of course. But kill him off? BITD, writers would regroup and try something else with a character before writing him/her off as a failure and then killing them off. However, Paul, Maria & Co. would just rather cut straight "TO THE LAKE!". (Or worse, now that the Abbotts have been pretty much decimated, they're going after the Chancellors, leaving just the Newmans and - oh, dear God - the Baldwin/Fishers intact.) It's lazy, and it's stupid, and it's another sign that I'm wasting my time on this show that's being run by idiots.

I never believed the day would come when BOLD AND THE [!@#$%^&*] BEAUTIFUL made more sense to me than this show, but here we are.

• Members

I think it's Driscoll's fault and Paul and Maria's fault that Chance has been a failure - Paul and Maria's, for never giving the character (or Driscoll) better, stronger direction; and Driscoll's, for his bland, unmemorable personality and line readings. Would a better actor make a difference? Frankly, I don't know. But I think it says a lot when Y&R's better actors - Bregman, Cooper, Walton, MTS, Eileen and Doug Davidson (although, I'm not exactly a fan of his) - have been able to rise above Maria's dreadful material, while the weaker actors continue to be pulled asunder.

• Members

Driscoll is a fine actor.

Is he the next big thing? No.

But he's a solid actor stuck with a character that was never meant to be more than what it currently is.

A plot device.

Maria/Hamner/Hogan/Rauch let Driscoll down & it's unfair to blame him for Chance's failure.

Have they though.

Actor favoritism/fanbase loyalty aside there has never been more complaining about the vets acting & if they were able to work miracles to make Maria's writing palatable they would be getting a lot more love from critics (beyond hyping Y&R's newest stunt casting) than derision like they are now.

• Members

I see what you're saying.

I'm not necessarily going by what others say about the vets, though. IMO, in the past year or so, the actors I mentioned in my previous post (as well as Tricia Cast - forgot to mention TC) have created instances where they managed to make material given to them seem better than it actually was. (Perfect example: Bregman in the recent Lauren/Sarah mess - dreadful, preposterous storyline, but her performance was, perhaps, its' one saving grace.) I'm not stating that as absolute truth, but only my opinion. If critics and others disagree, that's their business (and their right).

• Members

Driscoll is in the wrong soap era. He was on two soaps where the show will write for you endlessly if you are a sicko thug who overacts at every turn. Not if you're a traditional leading man.

People like Muhney and Billy Miller and Branson are lucky because Y&R will do its best to write around their limitations because that is Y&R's ideal - a smug, violent, mentally ill, misogynist. No matter how many flop stories these men are in, they're still "stars."

• Members

It's the writers fault because they aren't into heros. They more into Big EGOs with small penises. If we have the chance to fire Paul Racist & Anti Hero Sheffer(ms). I hope we get a good writer who can rehire JD. & who can write for Heros & villians on Y&R.

• Members

John Driscoll is not a talented actor. He simply isn't. He isn't even charismatic to make up for his lack of acting talent. He is just there. It isn't surprising that an average soap hunk like him would get pushed out after a while.

• Members

I don't think it matters that much on Y&R. This show is full of men who aren't charismatic and can't act. He just came in at a disadvantage, because of the character he played.

I thought he was pretty good on GL for the first year or two, and I thought he sold the romance with Ashlee. After that I don't think he's been very good.

Archived