Y&R: Beau Kayzer 1976 foldout poster insert from "Touch that Feeling"

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you ever saw Brock strummin' his guitar and launching into song on Y&R, it would make this album a must have.

Who can forget Brock belting out 'Battle Hymn of The Republic' as Katherine was agonizingly torn between her patriotism and desire to take a drink?

• Members

i'm a frustrated music critic, so I'll be happy to give you a review. Yes, I played the record as soon as I got it the other day (A turntable has a permanent position in my entertainment center)) It's ok... but it could have been better. his voice is beautiful... but his phrasing could use some work. Some of the songs don't fit him very well, and most of it comes off as very Robert Goulet-ish.. but it's not bad by any means. The two Olivia Songs he did I don't think suit him (Let Me Be There, and I Honestly Love You) I realize he's a second Baritone, and that's fine and dandy... but I do feel they keyed him a bit TOO low in a couple of cases, I would made him "reach" a bit more in the high part of his range here and there. His version of "The Way We Were", and the vocal version of the Y&R theme is the highlights on the albums, those are really good, IMO. I think his main issue is that he sings all of the songs the same way... he sounds great, but lacks interpretive skills. So when throwing these songs against the wall with his style, some of them stick, some not so much. I'll see if a track or two can be put on youtube so you can hear.

• Members

Of all the songs on the album, the title track is the strongest of all. I'm far from being a good analyst when it comes to vocals and songs but Beau sounds even better when he sings in a faster tempo.

For someone who composed his own songs, I'm disappointed that only one song out of the entire album was written by him (co-written, to be specific). I would've thought the emphasis would be on his own compositions. The soap mags at the time printed the lyrics to one of his songs called "Love Is Our Best Friend". He even wrote a song called "Joann" (for Joann Curtis--those who watched Y&R back in the day or have a knowledge of '70s Y&R will know what I'm talking about).

I agree with alphanguy that Beau's voice was set too low in some places, particularly on side 2. Plus the fact that side 2 was too short length-wise. I hate to be so nitpicky but Beau should have definitely recorded another album to really show off his singing/writing talents.

All of the songs are great, and Beau has a very good voice. Remember Terry Stafford's song "Suspicion" from the '60s? If you didn't know who recorded that (it was Terry Stafford), you would think it was Beau. He sounds just like Stafford at times, at least to my ears.

I thought his rendition of ONJ's "Let Me Be There" was good.

I would recommend this album only for those who are hardcore Brock admirers, or those who are hardcore '70s enthusiasts.

BeauHandsome.jpg

BeauGuitar.jpg

BeauSinging1.jpg

BeauSinging2.jpg

• Members

Aww! I always had a crush on Beau, although I'm too young to remember him in action on Y&R.

Isn't it a no-brainer that Y&R should have been rerun on SOME network by now? Number 1 daytime show for HOW many years??? It's a sin that we've never gotten a chance to see more than an occasional "classic" ep here and there. I would love to see how that show came together.

• Members

Well... it ebbed and flowed. I mean, Robert Clary is singing quite badly in episode 1!! So it did happen alot, not really EVERY week... but just about every other! You had Robert Clary signing in his restaurant all the time, Leslie would sing sometimes, Then Brock, then of course, the endless parade of Danny/Traci/Lauren. Colleen Casey even sang once or twice, and believe it or not, she is QUITE the adept jazz vocalist. then Patty Weaver sang all the time as well.

• Members

The difference with the 70's stuff is that the characters would sing to each other,rather than performing on stage eg Gina at the club,Danny at rehearsal or in concert.

I remember Leslie belting out "You Make Me Feel Like A Natural Born Woman' to Brad (I think she was at tha piano practising,so there was some context) and Lance and Lorie duetting on 'Ces't Si Bon' while dancing.Can't recall if they were out dining or it was an intimate at home thing. I do remember Jaime Lyn Bauer kinda talking her way through it as she had no singing voice to speak of.

As regards Beau's album,I would guess that it was done on a budget and there wouldn't have been the time or money for retakes,production,orchestration etc that would show him in his best light.

Archived