Favourite Soap Non Weddings

• Members

I have just been to a friends wedding and what i am about to tell you is a true story. I laugh at this because it mirrors what actually happens in Soap Operas. Basically what happened was that the bride ran out on the wedding leaving my friend devastated.

This usually happens in a lot of soap operas. Weddings that do not go according to plan.

There are a lot of reasons why a wedding may not happen or happens but either the bride or groom are manipulated,forced or are conflicted to go through with it.

Now there are some good examples in Soap Operas.

Days Of Our Lives - 1990 - Jennifer Horton & Lawrence Alamain

-when Jennifer Horton was posing as Carly Manning who was going to marry Lawrence Alamain this control freak who wanted control over her. She forced her to marry him by kidnapping Frankie Brady and holding him captive. She married him and was then raped.

The Bold & The Beautiful - Thorne Forrester & Donna Logan

-I don`t know the whole story but Donna was using Thorne to get revenge on Stephanie.

Coronation Street - Shelley Williams & Charlie Stubbs

-Charlie psychologically controlled Shelley and come the wedding she had the courage to run out on him. Its hard to find clips of the storyline but it was a creepy one

Emmerdale - Andy Sugden & Katie Addyman

-Katie was sleeping with Andy`s brother Robert. Thats a good reason in Non Weddings (An affair coming out)

I`ll list more if i can remember some but let me know if there are any other Non Weddings you remember or Weddings in which it wasn`t happy and cheerfuly like Luke & Laura`s wedding. I have the term. A Wedding Used As A Plot Device. That is a good summing up.

It could be in current soaps,Former Cancelled Soaps,Foreign Soaps,primetime Soaps. Any soaps.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Suprisingly, the first one that came to my mind was the Charity and Miguel wedding from Passions back in December 2002, Kay had managed to get Miguel into bed, yet they had kept that night a secret since Miguel horribly regretted it and thought he was making love to Charity because Kay sprayed Charity's essence on her. LOL. So anyway, everything gets underway, and when the priest gets to the "speak now or forever hold your peace" part, Kay faints and interrupts the wedding. She is taken out to be examined, and the wedding resumes, then it is interrupted again when Kay storms into the church sobbing. She runs into her dad's arms, and keeps saying sorry, and tells him as well as the rest of the church that she is pregnant. Her dad demands to know the name of the guy who got her pregnant and she yells out "Please don't hurt (kill?) Miguel!" The church is in shock, and of course with this shocking revelation, Charity and Miguel's wedding was called off. It was so good and soapy. :wub:

Say what you will about JER, but the man knew how to write a good (non) wedding. :lol:

• Members

Yep.

Also want to add a few more

Home & Away - 2005 - Jessie & Jodie

-Jessie i think slept with the bridesmaid (Can`t remember her name) and she told Jodie who dumped him at the altar. She also wore a short dress

Days Of Our Lives - Jack & Melissa

-Jack was marrying her to gain control of the company. She found out and left him.

One Life To Live - 2008 - Jonas Chamberlain & Talia

-Carlo forced her into it.

• Members

Three that come to mind:

DAYS: Larry & Hope when that old guy dressed up as Hope. When Larry lifted the veil he told him to pucker up! It was pretty humorous.

AW: Cecile & Peter on the boat when he had the heart attack?

GL: Annie & Alan -- I actually really hated Reva for that, but CW was fantastic.

• Members

I loved the "Holy Matrimony!" wedding on Days in 1997 with Susan being exposed, Kristen and Marlena being discovered the secret room, Marlena revealing Kristen's deception to John in front of half the town and of course Kristen holding Marlena at gunpoint. That was a great payoff. Huge event. The ratings that week went through the roof.

I also loved the Carrie/Austin wedding which Sami interrupted by announcing she was pregnant with Austin's baby. Good stuff. The payoff came later with a wedding in 1997 when Carrie arrived just in time to reveal that Lucas was the father of Sami's child -- not Austin. "The punch heard 'round the world." Another great payoff.

The 2002 Sami/Austin Vegas wedding was great as well.

Archived