Article about the OLTL musical posted on Gawker.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I guess that's the thing--I'm not saying it's great, and I admit as a huge defender of serious musical theatre, I always get concerned about stuff like thius that might just reinforce someone's idea about how bad or campy musical theatre inherently is. But, I don't mind OLTL attempting stunts like this every year or so, and they actually did a decent job of tieing it into the story I thought (for the most part). I'm much more concerned with things like the fact that apparently Rex is travelling back in time AGAIN, etc.

• Members

I guess it depends on the stories. The stories the musical features in are already a bit dumb and hard to believe so this isn't too much of a departure, at least compared to, say, when a year of stories became all about Buddhist jokes.

I haven't seen today's show yet but I think this is probably one of OLTL's better executed stunts of the past few years. Compared to KAD, the big car pileup, what became of Mitch, et al. At least it wasn't about women being violated.

• Members

That's exactly it--the "stunts" they've done so far (I might even throw in the annivesary ep, as much as I appreciated aspects of that) have been borderline insulting often at best, that I'm not really gonna throw them much shade for this musical one where at least they were trying and seemed to (more or less) be having fun with it.

• Members

I guess I'm the same way. I mean some of the numbers were awful and it's all very cheesy and you shouldn't get away with some weak quality based on cheesiness, but I'll take a cheesy good time over stuff like when they wanted viewers to get off on Mitch trying to rape his own daughter.

Archived