Smart Characters on Soaps

• Members

I'm up late studying. Suddenly it dawned on me that we have relatively few smart characters are left on soaps these days. I think it has changed now that characters fall susceptible to plot points. Who would you identify as a smart character and what makes them smart?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hmm, are there any smart characters left in daytime at all now? Most of them used to be on Y&R but LML & MAB have successfully turned them all into idiots. At one time, I would have answered Ashley Abbott, but after this Adam debacle, no way. There was a time that I would have said Meg Snyder, but that has long passed. Jack Abbott's another one, but the Patty storyline makes him look like a fool.

Honestly, right now, the only character that comes to mind is Victor Kiriakis on DAYS.

• Members

I used to think Jack and Michael were two of the most legitimately smart characters on Y&R. Which of course meant them getting look-a-like wives and forced to look like morons.

It seems easier for characters who don't drive story to be intelligent. They don't usually have to be subjected to looking idiotic for plot contrivances (exceptions above). I don't know how Bob and Kim were before they were backburned but they seem like genuinely smart people.

• Members

I sense this may be a somewhat short thread. :lol:

I was going to nominate Victor Kiriakis on Days. The man can sniff out bullshit at thirty paces. Plus he doesn't get tangled up in complicated and over-the-top plans of revenge like Vivian or Stefano do (hello? Brain chips!). He just orders his enemies' death. Swift and to-the-point.

• Members
Me too. I'm coming up at a loss. I had hoped to be enlightened here.

Good one. I had a feeling we would see more men than women as candidates.

I'm almost afraid to say this but I think they've been replaced by Billy Abbott who was smart enough not to be duped by Chloe.

Archived