Stories that should have ended characters, but didn't

• Members

There are bad or beyond bad soap stories day after day, but it's a special kind of soap story which is so bad or so hated that the character is gutted or put through hellfire from a lot of fans. Are there any stories where you were sure that the character would not survive, or at least if they survived would be seriously diminished, but in the long run it didn't amount to that much?

I would say Erica taking Maria's baby on AMC. This was so controversial at the time, Marlena criticized the story, Agnes Nixon herself wrote a letter to Marlena defending the story, then we got all the stuff with Maria grieving as Erica showed her beautiful new baby girl to Pine Valley. Yet, aside from some initial backlash, the story didn't hurt Erica all that much, perhaps because they showed her precarious mental state and how much she was grieving over her recent miscarriage and "losing" Dimitri to Maria.

Another would be EJ on DAYS, pulling a gun on Sami and getting her to have sex with him or Lucas would die. While some could convincingly argue the character was not the same after this, he has still dominated story for over three years since this repulsive story, and a lot of fans still enjoy the chemistry between Scott and Sweeney.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I didnt think Erica was ruined by the Maria storyline. I didnt mind her role in that at all

I thought OLTL's Todd prett much looked finished in 2008. Kidnapping and raping Marty again. Beating up teenagers. Ploting to steal his daughter's baby and telling her she died. I thought Todd was very unredeemable and the only option they had left was to have him be commited for a complete mental breakdown or killed off. Neither happened and he remained on the show

• Members

The BnB: Brooke Logan having an affair, and then child, with her SIL while her daughter was supporting her pregnancy and standing by her side not knowing the truth. Then, years later, Brooke getting together with a second SIL, Nick, with Bridget's permission this time, days after Bridget buried her and Nick's stillborn daughter.

Archived