Radio Soap Operas!

• Members

Thanks PR I'm gonna have to pull out my casette of the show, I know the collection I had was weird cuz 2 eps seemed ot be connected and then 2 others from a different era. The description on my tape (I don't have a tape player here to listen) says

1 GRace Wants to Postpone Wedding Plans

2 Skip is on probation at School

3 Emily Norton's Security

4 Will the Prisoner Please Stand and Face the Jury

ANd I always wondered--the first three are 15 mins, the last is 10--I thought maybe it was just missing something, but your explanation makes sense.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The beauty of radio soaps is that there no restrictions in terms of settings,whereas TV soaps are restricted by budget/sets.

However,the old shows only had 15 min to tell a story.

More RTH

Summer of 52,Carolyn has been abducted and held in an asylum.During a tour of the facility,she noticed some discrepancies.Her husband miles was Governor.Annette Thorpe was trying to convince Miles that Carolyn had left him.Her ex husband Dwight rescued her in the nick of time.

Then the wife of a man about to be executed came to plead his case and Carolyn became convinced of his innocence.One of Miles' advisors told him Carolyn's investigations were political suicide.However,the advisors son proved to be the murderer.

Moles lost the re-election.Sherry,an old friend of Carolyn's asked for help as she thought someone was trying to kill her.Miles unwittingly got involved with these crooks and ended up dead.

In reaction,son Skip and became persecuted by juvenile delinquents,being framed for petty crimes.He befriended Mollie jarvis.

Carolyn was targeted by Jack Townsend,whose scam was to rip off donations to a local youth center.

More to come...

• Members

Ten mins really when the intro, ads, etc were removed. Of course Guiding Light did very well on tv with 15 mins till '68 I think (no wonder Agnes Nixon has said it was still easy to write it and AW at the same time--much harder to write AW and OLTL and later AMC and OLTL at the same time).

Great summaries--it sounds pretty... well dramatic. I'll listen to my tape tomorrow--there seems to not be too much RTH saved (unlike that huge chunk of GL, the 100+ episodes most without organ, I mentioned). I wonder if there ever was any thought of RTH going to TV? Irna's other biggest shows--Road of Life, Brighter Day did...

• 11 months later...

Archived