Agnes Nixon USTownhall Video Interview

• Members

Just a heads up for others, like me, who didn't realize that all of the Agnes Nixon interview done back in Oct is finally now up online (as SON's front page implied the last part wasn't up because of spoiling David Canary's exit). Agnes discusses her past, and work at GL, OLTL and (of course especially) AMC at some length, as well as briefly AW, etc, a lot of the stories and anecdotes are ones us fans have already heard but a lot of good new tidbits too, and as usual you can get a sense of Agnes' thoughts on the current state of her shows and soaps by reading between the lines.

CLICK HERE and scroll down till you find her.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's a horrible video program whatever it is--took me a while to clue in that it would work on IE as well, after trying it on both of my comps with firefox. Of course youtube only has three minute edits...

One thing that is impressive about the interview is how sharp Agnes still is. I know that sounds silly--she's 82 not 110, but a couple of years ago she was starting to seem a bit out of it and never could remember dates, names, etc--she seems to have completely snapped out of that. (not sure about the furniture in her New York Flat where the interview is done though...)

Also a great brief shoutout to how much she loved Gordon Russell's work on OLTL and how when it was airing she asked ABC to remove her created by byline to give full credit to Russell, but ABC refused. And the story of why she thinks her writing is channeled through her by an Irish ancestor (ok, maybe she is losing it ;) )

In the last ten mins poor Aggie really does seem heartbroken about the move and makes astute, but quick comments like "Well they'll cluster Erica's scenes and film many at once which is great--but what's it going to do to the writing?" And how one reason why her shows have low ratings is "too many cooks spoil the broth". (I love how she snaps at the interviewer when he reads the ratings "I know what they are!" lol) and her disappointment with the way Brian Frons handles people... Though I was disappointed by her love for Thorston Kaye lol (though she has no recollection of his OLTL role LOL)

• Members

I loved her reaction when the interviewer listing off the ratings. So cute!

Thorsten was a great friend to Eileen Herlie and it's clear that's why Agnes has a fondness for him. I know people would rather believe that Thorsten was abusive to Eileen or stealing her money behind her back or something but seriously...

• Members

Some people actually believe that? :unsure:

Not surprised though, people will grasp at straws to construct a scenario that fits with their agenda. Myrtle and Zach has been one of the better things this show did under McT's last run. I really loved how the two characters (and obviously actors) connected. I always kind of hoped Myrtle would be revealed to be family of his.. obviously even if her health was good that would have never happened due to the ageist agenda.

• Members

Well hopefully not lol, but I have seen many posters who are determined to believe TK is nothing but a complete jerk in real life.

I didn't get the sense from the interview that Agnes was a huge Zach fan (although she did seem concerned that the show was losing its lead male, regardless of whether he should have been the lead male), but that she liked TK for reasons separate from the show, namely his relationship with Eileen.

• Members

I don't think Thorsten is a jerk in real life, he just likes to keep his personal life and acting life as seperate as humanly possible. Can't hold that against him. Its just in doing that he can come off as cold to some people. I don't think though he's ever really been rude in public, just reserved. He has been one of the more vocal actors though in the press in regards to storyline.

• Members

She coulda been--there's her famous heartbreak when that doctor refused to marry her when he found out she was barren, but all that means is she wanted a family and to be married at some point, not that she wasn't a lesbian.

Just to be clear, I was just making a joke cuz I was sick of Zack--it's sweet how she mentions Thorston and Eileen, etc and I don't think the man strangles puppies... :P (Kittens, on the other hand...) I liked Zack and Myrt's relationship too--but am glad they didn't turn out to be family. Sometimes it works, but I hate the soap cliche of when older/younger characters like that have a raport suddenly it turns out they're long lost son and mother.

I'm sure it'll come as a huge shock, but I agree, 100%. If I could see more of Lemay's AW, that would probably give Nixon a run for her money in my listing, certainly he's more intelectual a writer. But Nixon's stuff, besides being so well done and quintessential, also always has so much heart (something I find missing with Bell--as great as he assuredly was).

It's nice that they got Agnes' thoughts on Guiding Light, even if her memories on the material seem to be less clear, for good reason, than other shows. I think people and the soap press often forget that she headwrote the show for ten years (longer than Irna, in the tv era) when it was consistantly highly rated. I've seen a few of her 60s, 15minute episodes and they always seem fairly instantly engaging.

• Members

Re: the move. This interview makes me think more than ever that Agnes was involved in Pratt being replaced and Broderick coming in--the way she talks about the move (this was in Oct before Pratt was officially fired), worries about story, it being so far away, etc, makes me wonder if it was partly her firm suggestion that they get someone like Broderick involved in the show to keep an eye on it.

• Members

I think you are on to something. I don't know if Agnes had any say in getting Pratt fired, but certainly once the network decided it was his time to go I am sure she really made sure someone who knew the history of this show was installed. I am hopeful anyway. She still very much regards AMC as her's and the way she speaks she does seem to be in regular contact with Julie, and I presume Brian.

• Members

Yeah, as much as I think JHC needs to be replaced, it seems like she's very good at making sure Agnes finds out everything first, etc, which is reasuring in itself. Agnes does seem to still feel that, despite everything AMC is hers--and I agree with you.

When she mentioned that she would have had a lot more money if she had kept ownership like the Bells, a bit of me wished she had, though as she said she wouldn't have been able to handle it. (It's interesting, I didn't realize that ABC bought the soaps after five years partly as that was their contract with the show--after five years Creative Horizons was free to shop the show to a different network, unless ABC bought it).

Archived