Peyton Place

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I was surprised it was never even brought up during the Mad Men craze - instead of ABC doing Pan Am, they could've done Peyton Place set in the 50s/60s and had it on after Desperate Housewives.

ETA: now that the mouse owns 20th Century, maybe it would be an opportunity to bring it up since they now own Peyton Place?

Edited by te.

• Members

Yeah, I was mostly talking about when Mad Men was at its height. But a modern Peyton Place could be what ABC needs - it's on brand for them and maybe it could revive their Sunday line-up, or they could put it at Wednesday at 10PM.

• Members

"Starring Chad Michael Murray as Elliot Carson, Stephen Amell as Martin Peyton, Colton Haynes as Rodney Harrington, Lucy Hale as Betty Anderson,  Matt Dallas as Al MacKenzie, Katie Cassidy as Constance MacKenzie, Maulik Pancholy as Matthew Swain, David Ramsey as Dr. Michael Rossi, Annette O'Toole as Hannah Cord, Sam Jones as Norman, Rodney's adopted brother, Aaron Ashmore as Stephen Cord, Kristin Kreuk as Claire Morton, Ashleigh Murray as Rita Jacks.....    etc......"

• Members

I’ve often thought of a Peyton Place reboot, but I can’t exactly place it. Like y’all have said, I would HATE it on CW, which is ironic because I would take Dark Shadows on CW, but this would be Peyton Place in name only. 

I think the best place for it would likely be ABC again or a streaming service. I also think a soap format would work for it again. Even if they just do two weekly half-hour episodes like the original did initially. Thinking back to the AMC/OLTL reboots, I think a smart way to do a new soap would be half hour episodes and max it out at 2-3 episodes per week and do 40 episode seasons. It would likely be more manageable budget wise than keeping it open ended. Plus, if it’s successful you can always add onto it. 

A modern PP with two episodes a week, 20 weeks and a multi generational cast with modern storylines could absolutely become a buzz worthy show again. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I just finished the series and am now watching Murder in Peyton Place... what a mess and I'm only a half hour in!

Dorothy Malone clearly couldn't be bothered acting sad over Allison dying.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Oh wow, Murder in Peyton Place is horrible. Why is Norman suddenly married to Jill? Why is Stella Chernak suddenly a super villain kidnapping Jill? And the remade flashbacks where they end up calling Joe Chernak "Joey", which never happened on the original series.

• Members

Watching The Next Generation and I can see why it failed - the concept of Allison's daughter coming to town isn't a bad concept per se, but it does rely too heavily on people having watched the original series while at the same time changing important details such as Matthew suddenly being a female and named Kelly (which was Jill's baby's name that she tried to pass off as Allison). It's a shame because it seems like Peyton Place would've been ripe for a revival in the 80s (especially with Barbara Parkins as a HBIC), but the execution of this is horrible.

• Members

Thanks.  I thought it might be the same square, but wasn't sure.  And since it was a one-time movie, it's possible even the interiors were shot on location in real houses -- rather than building all those sets for one use. So that may be why they didn't resemble the original sets. 

The first season (5 episodes) of Dallas were all shot in real locations around Dallas, even the interiors.  They didn't build the sets in LA until the second season.