AMC/OLTL an early 1970 Crossover?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's a shame that I missed Marco and Tracy, thick as thieves on GH.

I had a crossover fetish myself :P before the baby switch kinda gave me my fill. I wanted crossovers like well-written scenes of publishing comrades Brooke and Viki meeting for lunch, or the quintessential Erica and Dorian scene.

There may have been even more crossovers from the past, just forgotten. I had to laugh at myself when Eric mentioned the thing about those grand estates being built by the same architects, because I always hang on to throw away trivia lines like that! :lol: I don't know if you're thinking of the same instance I'm thinking of Eric, but it was on OLTL, and I want to say it was Mitch who had that line when he was looking at Llanfair's blueprints when he got the house. If that's the instance you're thinking of, the third mansion he mentioned wasn't that of the Aldens', but of a family in Delaware, and of course my imagination ran with that, seed planted for new characters, even a spinoff. :P

Sometimes wires get crossed though. Deborah on Loving was becoming a late in life model, and she said she'd be, "Just like Erica Kane on All My Children", while there were of course AMC characters on LOV, and when Jeremy died, Gwyn had a line saying that Erica Kane called with her condolences.

I don't know if you know that Center City is the name of the downtown area in Philadelphia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CCPhilaDistrict.PNG

Yes, I would say that Pine Valley, Llanview, and Corinth are all Main Line, the estates, the proximity to Philadelphia, Agnes' affection for the region. In a scholarly soap book I read back in college, one writer draws comparisons between Viki Lord and Tracy Lord in The Philadelphia Story. Agnes denies that Tracy was her inspiration for Viki, but they share a lot in common, that clipped Mid-Atlantic speech for one. And Corinth/Alden University is like Haverford or Bryn Mawr.

• Members

Right--of course it also gets confusing when Pine Valley and Llanview both seem to now have fairly large colleges (only used or remembered for brief periods though...)

I didn't realize Center City was the actual term for Philadelphia. On my AMC board game I think they title it just Center City--so hrmmm...

Yes it was that Mitch line but I swear the Alden Mansion line was said somewhere else--maybe by Adam. And yeah a few times mistakes snuck by--I can only assume Agnes wasn't checking scripts for Loving when that line went by (on The City Molly woudl go to auditions for OLTL and AMC too, which made no sense when Jack from AMC came to the show or they had the City/OLTL cross over when Antonio was being chased by cops in New York lol) But with a daily soap of course it's hard to control all that

• Members

One kinda lame crossover moment was when Alex teamed up with Bo on OLTL. When Bo arrived in NY, the OLTL camera and music people did "funky" establishing shots and music in the style of The City with none of the fancy effects so it just looked like someone spazzing out with a camera.

• Members

Making my way throug the awesome Paley Center interviews on Agnes' website, in part 3, section C the first question is about her setting her shows in the same universe and she claims the main reason she did it is it's fun to think of the chaacters interacting from various shows. She also brings up something I forgot about--that in the early years OPine Valley and Llanview shared a shrink--Dr Polk LOL (and she does say the cities are suburbs of Philly)

• 10 months later...
  • Members

I found this in a Digest from March 1978. Is this crossover well known? I'd never known about it. Sadie Gray was a friend of Caroline, who married Frank Grant at this time. It's too bad the ties between the Grays and AMC's black characters couldn't have been further explored.

11-28-2010071123PM.jpg

• Members

I'd heard about Sadie singing at Frank and Caroline's wedding, but I'd never seen the pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Perhaps there could have been more connections through the 80s. It might have been hard since Caroline was the Grays link to Pine Valley, and she didn't stick around too long. Also, OLTL really didn't give AMC much to work with once they sidelined Carla, Ed, and Sadie. They should have made Frank and Ed distant cousins, that way the Hubbards would also have family in Llanview (and maybe the Halls would still exist).

Archived