Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think GL was due for an update by 1983, and I think the 1st 18 months of Pam Long's 1st tenure was pretty good.  A nice balance of Bauers, Reaedons, Spauldings, and Lewis'.

Fall of 1984 the structure started changing and by the end of 1985, it was a new show.  An interesting show, but not the GL of before.

The 2nd tenure in 1988 to 1990 was much stronger (and even used some of the history to boot).

• Members

I started liking GL again once Robert Calhoun took over in 1989. I don't think that the show needed such a drastic update in 1983. Another World was in much worse shape before Allen Potter, so was Search. GL didn't deserve the trashy Lewis and Shayne families, Jesse, Simon, Jackson, Suzette, Warren, Kurt and all the others. I will never understand how Pamela Long convinced people to let her turn a long running and successful soap into Texas 2.0. 

• Members

By the time the 90's rolled around, you had remnants of the Bauer, Reardon, Lewis, Shayne , Spaulding and Cooper families on the canvas, so it was a wonder that anything cohesive  made it onscreen.

Introducing 4 new families in a decade was not in the best interests of the show.

One of the best things. About watching these two episodes was that Jeva don't feel played out. Like they did in the late 90's and 00's. You really see the chemistry between Zimmer and Newman.  Without it being corrupted by years of bad stories. I forgot that Reva and Dinah were friends. I don't remember them ever interacting later on. Even with Cassie and Dinah being bitter rivals.  Continuity mistake When Dinah mentioned meeting Reva the summer before. When it was two summers before. When everyone in town was working at HB's summer camp. 

Edited by victoria foxton