Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

GL messed with its theme and graphics entirely too much in its last decade. After HOLD ON TO LOVE, we got the 10 second version, the Lifesavers version, the Moving Frames version, the Overdone Logos versions (Reva and Harley), the There Is A Destiny version, and the Katie Mac version. HOTL was far from played out; just needed new graphics.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Since people were mentioning Hope Bauer, I will say I remember watching GL through the 2003 debacle. OLTL at the time seemed ready to dispense with Catherine Hickland as well as Roscoe Born, and I had always found Ron Raines singularly unimposing as Alan Spaulding. My idea, however misguided, was to bring Born and Hickland on as Alan and Hope Bauer. Alex would bring Hope back to town to throw Alan off his game, and the two star-crossed lovers would ultimately reunite. They'd had great chemistry as their demented characters on OLTL, and of course they were on The City together.

• Members

It was particularly pie in the sky because I wanted them to get Beverlee McKinsey back, which would never have happened. I believe she also said no to AW before it ended.

I had much weirder, darker ideas than that for Blake and Ross's twins, too, something I always thought was a good one, but it would have required their literally being retconned into being identical twins instead of fraternal, which is just too big a hurdle for me to jump, looking back as an adult - it's Pratt-esque, to introduce that out of nowhere.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Do you guys think that Roscoe could pull off being Alan?

I like RB but his performances always came off as pervy in a sense. Maybe because he was tight cast in those roles in soaps. The only time I've seen him not play a vile role was from clips when he was Robert Barr on SB.

And Vee, share your story for the Marler twins. I wanna hear it. happy.png

• Members

I don't think Roscoe would have been a good match because Alan was supposed to be upper-crusty and RB always excelled at more "from the streets" type characters. He may had been better as a recast Roger.

The biggest problem for me wasn't Raines, but the way the writers portrayed Alan as if they never went back and watched CB's version of the character.

• Members

I liked Pilon somewhat, but they did write him as an evil dullard that would go to lengths that the Bernau version would not go to stop Phillip and Blake's wedding. Almost as if to say "Hey look, Roger wasn't THAT bad after all"!

100 percent agree about Parlato. His version of Clay almost feels like a dry run of Alan. Mantooth I really can't see though (and yes, I know he played "Clay" (imposter) also).

Edited by heffer

• Members
As do I.

Long ago, I had in mind someone to play Alan, but it's way too embarrassing to share now if I haven't already. Besides, these days, I'm of the opinion that no one other than Chris Bernau could have done the part justice. Just as no one other than Beverlee McKinsey could have done Alexandra justic (contrary to what BM herself believed).

Edited by Khan