Y&R Casting Scandal?

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would agree with your stance on Lily if this was real life. My problem is that this is not real life. I'm annoyed, offended even, that when we're blessed with a young black heroine on the predominantly caucasian landscape of soaps, she's being played by someone like CK.

The fact that hundreds of young black actresses read for the part and she was cast to begin with is worthy of our derision. TPTB are banking on this argument, taking the "We won't portray our black characters stereotypically" high road is really a cop out. Either writers don't know how to imbue black characters with cultural flavor, or even worse, they purposely choose not to. Honestly, I wouldn't have such a problem with CK's Lily if there was at least ONE more black girl ON CONTRACT who had the spirit of a young Tichina Arnold, or Vivica A. Fox, or Taraji P. Henson to balance things out. Many fans are hungry for this type of representation, that's why they took to Davetta so loyally, so fiercely... her authenticity seemed to trump any issues they may have had with her acting. When someone decides to invest in a soap which is by nature an intimate, family-oriented type of viewing experience, I think they want to watch at least one character who sounds like they sound, thinks like they think, lived a life similar to theirs; someone who they believe was raised by a mother with the sensibilities of their own, hell, someone they just *believe*.

• Members

Since when did this can barely act her way out of a paper bag get so much power? :unsure:

To take on an icon like Victoria Rowell?

I don't think she want's to take on this divas fanbase she may bite off more than she can chew...if she's doing it she'd better keep it on the down low...because she may start seeing that bright glare over the exit door. Victoria Rowell has a huge fanbase. I don't think she wants to tackle with that they are pretty active too.

And if they are doing her dirty work since she's buttoned holed can't more power to them....

• Members

so because the one and only, great talent Victoria Rowell, tweeted this crap, it has to be true!!!! Because poor little un-loved by former castmate Victoria Rowell says that CK and two others threaten to walk, WE ASSUME that it is suppose to be Peter and Michelle?!?!?!? And because TPTB have a tight reign on their actors, no one is responding to her "tweet", VR is letting her fans do her duty work, talking trash about CK, the unblack actor, and Michelle Stafford and Peter Bergman, with absolutely no proof what so ever.

Let's remember, ALOT of people on the set of Y & R hated VR's guts with a PASSION, so much so the CREW had a celebration when she LEFT!!!

IF the powers that be and SONY and CBS wanted the big mouth diva back, she would have been back long before now.

Personally I think VR and Brenda Dickinson need to start their own support group "Y & R Anonymous or "I want to be a soap star again and they won't let me!!!" "

• Members

I agree I work with teens they relate big time to visuals they are into "images"

and IMO yes Lily reps some African American young women but not "my experience."

Another type wouldn't hurt...like Devon's girlfriend portrayed by Tatiyana Ali that girl has gumption...I liked she gave Devon his walking papers and got to stepping..Davetta Sherwood's acting was no worse than this one

in my opinion and I liked her and was disappointed this one came back no disrepect to her fans because they all have them just stating "my preference" I like the Cane/Lily storyline

but IA more than this type should rep because she is not

the norm IMO. It should be more than one on the show in this age group.

• Members

I don't care about backstage politics ...if someone spit on me they would be picking themselves off the floor that too has been said...if they don't want her fine but I am her fan and don't give a flying leap about the rest of that nonsense

I watch soaps for onscreen drama not backstage drama.

Archived