Y&R: Potpourri Thread

• Members

I disagree, I think the show was as hated at the height of LML's run as it is now by many online. It's just that, love her or hate her, LML used more characters and told more diverse storylines, which might have help calm some of her damage in the eyes of many people/fanbases or whatever.

I hated the Latham era, more so that what I'm seeing now, but it doesn't negate to me that the show right now isn't very good either and there's been problems with this writing regime since the beginning, which aren't being successfully addressed.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think part of the reason for the anger is because the show is all about ugliness, dysfunction, sadism. There's also a certain undertone of contempt for a number of characters, characters many viewers have respect for. There's usually little followup to key stories, and history is rewritten at random.

Another reason is there was so much hype about this team, how they were saving Y&R, restoring it to greatness, they were superb. All that hype has turned into rampant character destruction and depresing, confusing plots.

The show also doesn't feel like Y&R, at least to me. It's a very offputting creature. Even LML, as awful as much of her reign became, I still saw some traces of Y&R, even though she obviously did more damage backstage.

• Members

Yep.

Yep, at least we saw various people in the media call LML out on her crap. Nelson and cartoons at Daytime Confidential constantly hail Y&R for being so very good, yet a lot of us just don't see it or see it in the writing. This is not Y&R or the show many of us fell in love with.

Exactly.

• Members

Ten, fifteen years ago, the soap magazines used to say Y&R fans didn't write in with angry campaigns or vehement reactions the way other soap fans did. I think the anger now is a delayed reaction among many fans that their Y&R is probably gone for good, and the choices of a regime that was supposedly so true to classic Y&R has just magnified it for them.

• Members

That's a really interesting statement. I wonder how much truth there is in that. Y&R was the last great hope of an entire genre, and if it truly goes the way other soaps went ten/fifteen years ago, then that means hope is lost. To me, that's a much better reason for this venom than just "this show sucks"

• Members

But brimike, who is just saying "this show sucks?" I think a lot of the people specifically here at SON who have voiced their displeasure with the show right now have voiced sound reasons and given detailed explanations.

I think those of us who aren't happy with the show right now are being boxed into a group that many see us hating the show for the fun of it, not because we're loyal fans who love and care for the show, but just cannot accept what's onscreen for us to see. I don't know if that's the intent by many, but that's how its coming off.

• Members

Displeasure I udnerstand. Everyone's arguments for being displeased, I understand. It's the hatred I don't get. I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but I also see a lot of stuff on the air I really like too. For me, it's about 60-40. (60% unhappy, 40% happy). I'm finding a lot on a day to day basis I like. Sorry, but I do. Maybe that makes me "the wrong kind of fan" but there are aspects of each bad storyline that I find good. And frankly, I'll take 40% good over the 5% or 10% I find other soaps these days. (I know you hate that argument, but it's how I see it.)

Where's this hatred for Brad Bell, with people posting for 80 pages about how B&B is crap, over and over and over again like they have to drive the point home?

• Members

Yeah... One can ask: Where is the 80-page thread about Dena Higley? Or Ron Carlivati? So that's not an argument, sorry. :P Each show is a different animal and deserves a different treatment.

And who's saying Y&R sucks? I am. Total suckage.

• Members

I guess it comes down to how one views the show. Some look at the big picture and some just look at more selective pieces to find enjoyment. All I personally know is I'm not enjoying the show overall and it hinders me from fully appreciating the good in certain scenes of episodes.

I personally don't get more or less enjoyment from watching Y&R than I get from any other soaps and I really don't like to judge the show based on what other shows are doing. In fact, I see Y&R falling into the same traps that have ruined other soaps and I'm just not liking it.

B&B has never had a HUGE internet following like other soaps. But the B&B thread is also filled with many unhappy fans who voice their displeasure with the current state of that show. It's just that few people here at SON, specifically, post about that show.

Y&R seems to be the "IT" show here at the moment with the most vocal fanbase and fans who like to have their opinions be known. :lol:

For a while it was DAYS, then it was GH, now it seems to be Y&R.

• Members

And no offense, brimike, but I am bored to death with this "OMG! The amount of hate is amazing!" piece of cr*p of a discussion! You don't like the "hate"? Do not enter The Premises of Hate where we, the haters, dwell. Plain and simple.

• Members

Okay, but I don't listen to the soap media. I find them all to be a bunch of wanna-be's who kiss ass to get a scoop that may or may not be right, and they all think they're the only ones "in the know".

I go based on what I like, and what I watch on my screen. And I find that while Sharon's motivations suck, Bergman and Stafford keep me mesmerized. Adam's plot is misogynistic, but I'm salivating for his comeuppance. P3 has holes bigger than Swiss cheese, but I'm dying to see how Bierdz plays this with everybody. Story is flying way too fast for it to mean anything, but somehow, a performance in every episode keeps me riveted.

I'm not delusional. There are HUGE problems. But you act like viewers like me are defending crap for liking some things. I'm not defending crap. I'm telling you, "Yeah, the crap sucks! I agree! But what about this, this, and this? I liked those things" Okay, so I happen to like more parts of the show than you do right now, but why does that make me wrong? Or you wrong? Why is anybody wrong?

See? Now you've got ME repeating my own posts. LOL! The one thing I swore I'd never do.

• Members

I'm asking that as well!

And I really want to understand it. HS drove DOOL fans away in droves, but the Days thread was never overrun with this kind of anger. DH drove OLTL fans away, but the OLTL threads never ballooned up this much. I'm just seeing a lot of ugliness and it makes me sad. Sad for the board, sad for the people who might be too afraid to post that they might like something. How did it get to this point? It's disturbing.

• Members

I believe those kind of questions blow this completely out of proportion (which, partly, makes me happy because someone might do something about it). Every time someone asks "OMG! How did we get to this point?" it's like you're saying: Wow, you, people, you're all so insane and negative and... But all I saw here is very well-argumented posts on which problems this show has.

Archived