Y&R: Potpourri Thread

• Members

This thread is so depressing. :(

I really think the problem with pacing is a clusterf--- of Hamner coming from primetime, the studio assuming the audience doesn't want stories drawn out for weeks because of our "shortened attenion spans" and "better distractions," the budget cuts ruining the cast's shooting schedule, and the TPTB assuming the audience's taste level has declined to a bunch of sadist teenaged boys who pull wings off of flies.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I understand your frustration... and I admit it doesn't sound logical, but a CRUMB is all it takes. There was a special on 20/20 about this last year. It amazing what these people go through. All of these milk chocolate products (Hershey bars, hershey kisses, Mounds, Milky Way, 3 musketeers) that carry that warning don't contain ANY peanuts, theyr'e just packaged in a factory which ALSO packages products that contain peanuts (Snickers, Pay Day, Baby Ruth, etc...) and the slightest TRACE, even less than a crumb, is enough to set these kids off... that why they keep the epi-pen on them at all times. It's one of those "Strange but true" things.

• Members

Meh, this show is just getting worse and worse. I'm not impressed by the TWO retcons in the Phillip III storyline. That's bad storytelling when you have to just one, yet alone two retcons over the course of a single storyline, especially when the storyline shouldn't have happened anyway.

Maria rewrites history, and people defend her for it, yet Latham does the same thing, and people see her as the devil (and rightfully so). I don't get it, but whatever.

Maria uses history to manipulate her audience, because all of these storylines lack any substance or depth, she thinks by referencing some past history, it will cover up her flaws, but it doesn't.

I'm pretty sure I won't be watching past this Phillip reveal and by August, so whatever.

• Members

I'll give her a pass on the peanut allergy. I had a student last year who was severely allergic to peanuts and they had to sit at a peanut free table during lunch, all my other students had to clean their hands every time they ate something, I had special disinfectant clothes that I had to use on all their desks when we ate anything in the classroom and there were no peanuts allowed in any snacks that year. I also stopped eating my occassional peanut butter sandwich for lunch. He also had other severe allergies that we had to watch out for.

Of course, the audience just finding out Summer had a peanut allergy the other week so that she could be in a coma this week is totally contrived. I remember when Phyllis told Nick to make sure she had her antihistamine last week, I was wondering where her epipen was. I had to be trained with the epipen and carried it whenever we went on any field trips.

• Members

I take Maria and Latham rewrites differently. Latham rewrites Jill/Kay as mother/daughter should have never happened, ideally (as a viewer) I like that it was undone. Phillip/Cane should (IMO even moreso than Jill/Kay) should never have happened but that undoing is pushing the envelope a bit much, eh I can live with it to an extent the only thing is I'mma bit turned off by the raising Phillip from the dead angle (I'm used to it I'v e seen way worst on DOOL and even GH) but am very interested in the Nina dynamic. I've slowly come around to Y&R is a shell of itself many times there are just horrid choices made that is not in the least good soap or even tv, but hey when the good stuff (which have become even more rare) happens I embrace that. LOL Don't worry I'll still be here barking at the idiocy

• Members

I've just given up hope this show can get better. I'm tired of wanting something that is clearly not possible when it comes to this writing regime.

I hope new writers and producers can come in soon, so I can give the show another change. Until that happens, I won't be watching.

• Members

Houghton apparently left soaps for good, I think Jones had a falling out with a ton of people at Y&R, and Jerry Birn is still a story consultant at B&B, but he's very old.

But we knew this show was in trouble when Bill Bell, JR put his inexperienced wife that had no Head Writing experience in charge of this show regardless of all the talented people out there who had better track records.

Archived