Y&R: Potpourri Thread

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Seriously, my biggest regret was not finding this show sooner. And every soap fan should watch this show at least once or twice.

EDGE didn't need "shock and awe" or "sensationalism" to sell a story. The element of surprise came from the payoff in the story and each character's reaction to said payoff.

I dare someone to even utter Scott Hamner and Henry F#$king Slesar in the same breath as "mystery writers."

LMAO!

• Members

Bellcurve, in this case, the show is far from lazy and stupid, it's very accurate. As strange as it seems.. I know it doens't sound logical, but most with peanut allergies are THAT sensitive. If you notice on candy bar wrappers, it even gives warnings that they are made in the same plant, and on the same machinery, that comes in contact with peanuts. People with these allergies can't even eat a plain hershey bar, cause peanuts are used in the same factory where the hershey bars are made. This is a strange story, but TRUE... I ahve a friend whose niece had a peanut allergy, and she had a BF who like to... let's say... use "food" during oral sex. He did not know that she was allergic to peanuts, and he put some peanut butter on her private area, and it nearly killed her. NO JOKE.

• Members

I can do that.

Another of MAB's failure's is her lack of NEEDED character interaction to heighten to a story. Nikki should have been all up in the Quad's business. Chloe and Phyllis should be bonding over their fairly similar situations. If Chloe is friends with Amber, why wouldn't Amber try to have Chloe get to know Kevin etc., more? I go could on and on and ON

• Members
But Bell is a woman who says "We have a very respectful relationship with the network. But this is my show and my vision."

What is there NOT to understand about that? Why isn't she fighting the network and fighting SONY and telling them to stay the hell out of her way?

I mean, FFS, her husband OWNS the f&*Hing company that helps distribute the show and he has given her all this power and control. And you mean to tell me that she's being interfered with on a network level? How is this so?

If it's the content(i.e. two dudes kissing, showing an asscrack, showing more blood from Ashley's miscarriage, or showing the doctor molesting her), that's one thing in terms of network interference and there's not alot Maria can do about that because the network will ask them to cut it and they probably will.

But the pacing of the stories, the type of stories being told, the directions the characters are heading in, that is ALL HER! And she takes full responsibility for it in her interviews, as she should.

What Maria needs to understand is that "contemporary soap opera storytelling" isn't watching Lifetime Movie Network between meetings, lunches, and in your office during your downtime and then finding the most misogynistic and violent way of telling those stories you saw. It's not reading the SONY boards and SON and taking suggestions from the craziest whack job posters who just want to make controversy happen at the expense of long term plotting and storytelling. And she also needs to understand that there are more than just ten characters on this damn show and they all need to be played, instead of narrating everyone else's stories or becoming victims to one dimensional, creepy villains.

• Members
Exactly! Even Reilly was better at cast integration than Maria/Hogan/Hamner. At least he attempted to have characters form friendships and bonds and tried to make shocking revelations ripple through Salem.

It seemed like they were on the right track with the Kay/Marge thing.

And also, Nikki should be all up in the Quad's business, especially Sharon's. Did this regime forget Jack was Nick's stepfather for many years, even if he did go to some boarding school and become 30 years old overnight? Why aren't Nikki or Nick even mentioning that Jack is "repeating history" with Sharon? Better yet, why is Jack repeating this history anyway? No one is that big of a p($$y.

• Members

What you dont realize is that in these interviews, she's basically kissing the network's ass. When your'e pulling an 8.0 rating like Bill Bell did in his era, you can afford to be a hard ass. Times are VERY different today, and the political chess game behind the scenes, is very different from "public statements". you'd be shocked as HELL.

• Members
But Mary Jane didn't spread peanut butter or Hershey's bars all over Summer's privates! Mary Jane ate half of a peanut butter(?) cookie and kissed her on the lips. MJ didn't even lick her lips before she did it and from what we could see, none of the crumbs from the cookie got onto Summer. And again, a CRUMB is a negligible amount.

• Members
<_< That's not kissing the network's ass. That's giving them the finger. It's very subtle, but that's giving them the finger. The show/vision quote has been taken out of context a bit for some of you just joining us, so maybe you need a refresher:

http://tvguide.sympatico.msn.ca/2008s+Entertainer+of+the+Year/Soaps/Features/Articles/081217_mariaarenabell_entertaineroftheyear_NB.htm?isfa=1

TVG: How much influence does CBS V-P Barbara Bloom have on Y&R? She’s not peeing on the trees, right? This is your show?

MAB: We have a very respectful relationship with the network. But this is my show and my vision.

That doesn't sound like "kissing Barbara Bloom's ass" to me. It sounds like a woman, determined to prove she's not going to get stepped on and that she's going to get her way because she's in control.

Does this sound like ass kissing to you?

But SONY put their faith in HER! She got her way by getting Josh Griffith(deservedly) fired. She added Hogan Sheffer. She kept Scott Hamner, despite his previous allegiance with the show killing BITCH Lynn Marie Lethal. She made all these decisions! She drives and controls the story.

---

And another thing Maria needs to realize...

"Contemporary soap opera storytelling" is NOT throwing random crap at the screen that makes no sense and then trying to justify it with random bits of history thrown in, like that's supposed to make a ret-con or an out-of-character move any better?

And if there IS network interference, Maria will prove she's worth her weight in gold and tacky tablecloths by fighting for great storytelling, instead of caving like everyone else does.

We're talking about Daytime's #1 soap. The gold standard. The show that knocked inferior competitors down and out of it's way, clearing the landscape to dominate the timeslot as the lone soap in many areas. This is a show many start their daily soap opera watching lineup with. And you mean to tell me that that's not worth putting up a fight to the network and the other half of the production company for?

Archived