OLTL: Since CE is out of that other soap [spoiler]

• Members

I don't quite understand why so many are up in arms about Engen. The world of soaps is filled with actors who left in a huff because they didn't like the direction the writers were taking their characters. He's not the first to throw a temper tantrum and bolt. What's all the more odd to me is how some people who don't watch Y&R and have never even seen him are on the defensive about this guy. I would think the only folks who should really be ticked would be those who were fans of his portrayal of the Y&R character he ditched, since he left them in the lurch. Is being unprofessional enough to walk out on his contract REALLY what's bothering people about C.E…or is it because he allegedly didn't want to play gay and therefore can be perceived as possibly a bigot?

Anyway, I'm not a huge Y&R fan but I've seen some of his work there and I think he's a solid actor. As far 'performance' goes. Provided he fixed his alleged attitude and tightened up his work ethic, I think his talent could be an asset to OLTL or any of the ABC soaps, really. He'd probably be a better fit there than at the CBS/Sony/P&G soaps. Would ABC hire him? Eh. If they did, it would probably be for a much more limited type of contract than he had at Y&R. Now as to IF it's even possible that he could work elsewhere, I guess that all depends on Y&R and if they choose to hold his feet to the flame to spite him. Since, though, they were able to swiftly and seamlessly recast without it affecting their story, I can't see why they would bother being vindictive. Seems like it would be more convenient for them to just demand that CE reimburse them for any delay time his departure caused, then cut him loose to be another producers problem. What good is it for them to keep a(n) [allegedly] problematic performer under contract out of spite. I'm not sure, but wouldn't they still have to pay him something, since he would still technically be an employee?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The real reason people take up Chris Engen's cause around here is because, like many of them, he was unsatisfied with the creative team. He becomes a lightning rod for the ongoing idiotic debate. Unfortunately, he also happens to be a foolish homophobe who's murdered his own career in its crib by walking out of a contract. Not the best figurehead.

• Members

That shouldn't be a problem, someone would probably sooner utter the name "Dan Wolek". :P

But on the flipside, wouldn't it be sweet if CE were hired by OLTL as a recast Billy Douglas. :lol:

It would sure shut people up.

• Members

I'm not shocked that so many are up in arms. I fully expected that. But I will say that I am really surprised, very disheartened, and saddened to see so many that be so unforgiving and narrow on this.

I never expected that. And that really saddens me for the state of the world we live in.

Well I am totally talked out on this issue. All I know is my eyes are fully opened and I don't like what I see. I just don't see any way there will ever be a meeting of the minds when both sides are so stuck in their way of thinking.

I just hope that Engen finds peace with what he did. If he does have problems with gays then I hope his eyes will be opened someday. I just hope that the narrow thinking and the name calling don't turn him so far in the other direction that if he wasn't a homophobe in the first place he doesn't become one because of all of this.

By the way the issue made the round table discussion breifly of one of the news channels at 4:00 a.m. this morning. I didn't catch which one as I caught it when I was going through channels. Don't think that the name calling can't anger people because one of the ladies on the panel got very very heated about it. She said she never gave gays any thoughts before this but her impression of gays now is of Perez Hilton and now she thinks are gays are just like him. And let me tell you from what she said she don't like us at all. So one opinion has been shaped and if it is ever changed it will take a long time.

Over and out.

• Members

Perez Hilton does not equate to Chris Engen no matter how much you want it to, Steve. And we can't make Chris Engen a homophobe. Sorry, but I didn't make the guy quit Y&R. No one did.

I'm not really in the business of looking for vindication for poor, put-upon Chris Engen. Nor do I think he'd be interested.

• Members

Again, why do some of you care what if some of us speculate about a role that may suit CE? How is it any of your business how we use our time or what topic we post about?

I have never liked Jeff Branson, something about his voice. CE would be a perfect Joey. I cannot see Daniel Cosgrove as Kevin. I would want Dan Gauthier to return.

• Members

I agree with everyone else on here that CE will NEVER work in daytime again. I highly suspect that Y&R will stick it to CE in every possible way that they can according to his contract. I could see them suing him for financial ramifications and will hold him to his contract, so he will be out of work for a very long time!!

Archived