B&B: God help us all...

• Members

Cat has just written a long post as a reply to Gumdrop’s question and I had to open a whole topic about it. I have never ever in my life seen nor heard about a tale as disgusting and insulting as this one! Never. We have talked about the insemination a lot when it was the story of the day, but to see it synopsized like this and remind yourself about it is something else. But what struck me in equal measure is the whole Brooke/Ridge/Taylor triangle... What a great story this one could have been and how appalling it is now... I am embarrassed to say that I have watched this show for so long and am still watching it. Absolutely shocked.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Isn't this harsh and negative? :)

I agree totally. The "scrambled eggs" storyline turned into a clusterf*ck of epic proportions with no emotional payoff.

Cat's summary was excellent, and yet missed another lovely beat:

Rick had previously dated Taylor's OTHER daughter Phoebe. Upon learning that Rick was with Taylor, Phoebe returned to town from a concert tour and--in an angry battle in a moving car with Rick--perished in an accident. Within DAYS of being responsible for Phoebe's death, Rick began an affair with her twin sister Steffy. This couple (Steffy + Rick) is affectionately known as "Sick".

Don't forget that.

"Dream team" members including Patrick Mulcahey, Kay Alden, Jack Smith, and recently Martha Byrne have all added indelible excellence to this tale.

• Members

It is. But I also expect it to be — completely realistic.

I have never expected an emotional payoff from such a ghastly, lurid tale. I just wanted it to end and prayed and unrealistically, idealistically hoped that somehow, in some miraculous way, it wouldn't be as shockingly horrible as it was...

How could I... That psychiatrist who's writing occasional columns for Marlena's blog should really enlighten me and explain why are so many daytime writers obsessed with rape and incest.

• Members

<_< Two of those four were also part of the Y&R "Dream Team" years ago. But I bet you praised everything they did on that show, including SpermGate.

Stone...meet your glass house!

But, to the people doing these story projections, it's not "borderline incest," rather two people who are unrelated and need to be paired to stir up conflict. But I agree this way of thinking still sucks.

• Members

The scrambled eggs story was actually a great concept, here I say it.

The problem was that the show went to hell in a handbasket the second Bradley reunited Brooke & Ridge amidst the rape storyline killing the promising Ashley & Ridge romance, the re-branding of Brooke and the emotional impact of baby Jack being Brooke's. The tale itself was good but the ending, dear lord. It didn't help one bit to have Rick AND Taylor ping-pong with closely related lovers in a monthly rhytm either. Not to mention that all "love stories" in 2008 were equally horried with Bridget then hopping into a triumphirate of horrendous proportions with Nick & Katie.

• Members

I agree and nevertheless feel differently: the secret should have been kept. By a tormented Bridget. Then by Nick. And then after a while a test could have been done, after Taylor had already bonded with the child. Swoosh, a great new dynamic between Taylor & Brooke. Mortal enemies by actual reason not libido distraction. Best of all, both woman without fault, allowing the writers to pitch fanbse against fanbase.

But how pathetic did they pull it off in reality? Unbelievable and ineed horrible. <_<

• Members

I did like Spermgate...at least the first few years of it.

But if you read my stuff about Y&R, I did not have unbridled affection for Alden and Smith. I would not have removed them from the show (Indeed, I would have kept them and made them work with LML and Ed Scott...I would have kept that whole team and structured the power dynamics a bit differently).

But Y&R really lost its way, especially in the Smith era. Brittany, Bobby, Nikki as sudden stripper hostess, Sean Bridges, Paul raping Christine...

I didn't mind Cameron Kirsten. I didn't mind Nikki and Victor finding their way back to one another.

But I found it was a very mixed bag at that time.

I didn't post at SON then, so I can't "prove" it...but I definitely had likes and dislikes about Y&R back then...as I do now, by the way (don't believe propaganda that I'm globally positive).

I had GREAT HOPES for Alden and Smith at B&B. Indeed, I thought they were going to SAVE the show. I thought their coming to B&B (and Shaughnessy too...and briefly Houghton and Esser...) was going to make B&B into Y&R-style gold.

Alas. It was the opposite.

• Members

What do you think happens? Really?

Remember, it was also possible that the baby was Bridget's...since the test tube only said "B. Forrester". That story could have gone in a million interesting directions.

What derails it? How do they take such terrific potential and squander it?

Same with Katie. Getting her suicidal brother's heart, in Heather Tom's hands, could have been amazing. Instead, it set up seeing sea demons and having prom-island-off-camera-impregnating-sex.

How do all these GREAT premises quickly decompose into manure.

I'm sorry if that seems harsh and judgmental....

• Members

This has to be the worst B&B storyline EVER and another sign how much Brad Bell hates Taylor. She would never give up her baby, neither would Brooke, since there periods on B&B when either Bridget or Katie serve as the boy's mother. I guess Bell wants to leave it open, so once Jack grows up, TPTB will choose who his mother is.

A) Jack B) Sick C) Bridget/Nick/Katie.. All this within a year??? I guess they are intentionally making the show so bad so that it can compete with the telenovelas in Europe.

Archived