Y&R: Week of May 11, 2009

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Like I said...it was a flight of fancy. There are going to need to be logical pretzel twists -- under any circumstance -- to make this work. So, some sleight of hand -- some "device" -- is going to need to be used.

I'm trying not to take this personally, Alvin. :-( We may be opposites, but I respect what you have to say.

This should become the norm. I'm telling you, it would build the show. "Watch for a huge game-changing event on 5/15". And that should be end of it. Or maybe, 'This event will challenge beliefs that viewers have held for over 20 years.' But go no further...

• Members

YES! It wouldn't have been "cheating" or "misleading" to do what you've described. It's just a way to ensure everyone finds out the surprise around the same time!

• Members

If TG is not out, then I'm not Black.

TG might be out, but he doesn't broadcast it. Just as heterosexuals don't exactly broadcast that they're straight.

• Members

I read one interview where he SPECIFICALLY referenced a female companion in Amsterdam. I think he even named her. I wish I had kept that. It would have been years ago in SOD or SOW. That said, I agree he *pings*.

• Members

I'm not saying it's impossible. But, it feels contrived and inorganic. I wouldn't like it, but I am glad for the people who would.

A note to brimike: I hope we haven't scared you away from this thread!!!

• Members

These kind of stories really bug me on Y&R... I should be happy about this whole history honouring, yet it all feels so flat, manipulative, even easy... I really, really feel completely manipulated, they haven't given me any single norma, new, fresh, never-before-seen successful story; all of Y&R's recent successes were partly because fans were happy they remembered something from a distant past.

• Members

And now that they've seen some fans are salivating all over it, they just thump out more and more and more of these stories.

Also, frankly, too much of its efforts are about correcting certain things from the past. Perhaps Alden was right: focus on new horizons.

Archived