Another World

• Members

Apropos of nothing, I'm rewatching some classic Mystery Science Theater 3000 this morning and I'm just struggling with the earthshattering revelation that the infamous Corinne Jacker wrote the MST favorite Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, a bizarre public television pre-cyberpunk scifi caper with Raul Julia. You're welcome, everyone!

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Bill Corbett (a.k.a. Brain Guy/Crow T. Robot #2) has said he was surprised by how awful the script was, given Jacker's reputation as a playwright.

By the way, someone should start a MST3k thread, lol.

• Members

I'll simply say the recent Netflix and Gizmoplex/Kickstarter revival seasons are pretty good and leave it at that! You can find many of those episodes playing for free on MST's Pluto channel (and one new MST classic, Carnival Magic, features GL's Don Stewart).

• Members

Jacker adapted it from a short story. Reading the Wikipedia page the response was not entirely negative when it was originally released either and some of the negativity was focused on the low production values more than the script. 

i listened to the opening voiceover and immediately thought "Canadian" but I had to look it up to find out that it was Linda Griffiths who was very well known for her one woman show Maggie and Pierre (about current Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's parents). I'd be curious to watch the un-MSTK'd version and of course to assess the differences between the script and the original story.

On another topic, I was watching TCM and happened to catch a glimpse of Constance Ford in Rome Adenture, looking fantastic and taking a completely different attitude toward Troy Donahue than in A Summer Place.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Thanks so much for this. The 20th anniversary clip selection feels like it could have been so much better (although I'm sure they probably suffered from some material not being available, I didn't need Janice in the bubble bath twice, and showing Cecile's lovelife out of order seemed odd) but I was grateful to see that one little snippet of Donna telling Sally that Kevin was her son in particular. 

Some questions:

Who was the man who got shot right before the scene with Rachel and Steve in a collapsing building?

Who was the singer in the blue dress right after the clip of Leo Mars at the Warehouse? 

Who was the singer after her in the white dress?

Roller disco?!!?? (More of a comment than a question.)

• Members
Posted (edited)

I think that might be Sandy.

The singers are Louise Mandrell and Roberta Flack (a shame that last one had to be muted for copyright reasons).

I agree the clips aren't great, partly due to lack of choice, although I enjoyed the scene with Iris and Cecile side-eyeing drunken spectacle Gwen, and it was morbidly fascinating to see Pete Shea's death (on a location shoot no less).

The roller disco is as cringe as any soap attempt at a disco.

I was surprised at how much time they spent on the Steve return given how ill-received the plot was.

Edited by DRW50

• Members
Posted (edited)

It is particularly cruel of Donna to weaponize Kevin against Sally, given her own history with Marley and Vicky.  Is there a change of writers between David's murder and the reveal of the twins?  Because it feels like Donna doesn't know that her sister is actually her daughter during her antagonism of Sally.

Edited by j swift

• Members
Posted (edited)

Oh, I think it fits together perfectly with the following year's reveal that Marley is Donna's daughter. (But the HW was Dorothy Ann Purser and would be Richard Culliton/Gary Tomlin when the Marley reveal came out.) Donna's goal is not to antagonize Sally, that is collateral damage. She is protecting Peter and the Love family name from an unsuitable match, which is what she learned from Daddy that you have to do at any cost even if you have to give up your soul mate and stay in a secret cellar room and pretend your baby is your sister. It is a tragic irony that she can be so cruel. 

Thanks! I think part of the problem with the selection and presentation of the clips was that it felt like they prioritized spectacle over character. If they had framed everything around who the people were it could have cohered better.  

Edited by Xanthe

• Members
Posted (edited)

According to the Julie Poll book (which admittedly has a lot of inaccuracies lol) Louise Mandrell sang “Runaway Heart” and “Romance.” And Roberta Flack sang “Making Love” and “I’m the One”

And yeah, it is Sandy getting shot.

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

Thanks. I see the incident in the AWHP synopses for May 1983 -- Alma shot Sandy and then she herself was dead by the end of the week. 

I made the mistake of checking the AWHP Music page to try to figure out who the singers were but I see they are on the Celebrities instead. I have to confess that I know the name Roberta Flack but I did not recognize her face and probably would not have recognized her by voice. And I remember the name of Barbara Mandrell but did not remember the existence of Louise. 

• Members

Was that the fight with two men in the water, two men on the shore, and a confused woman in the middle not sure whether or which to try to intervene in? Did Pete Shea die? The AWHP character guide says he left town with Diana.

And it had all been wrapped up and Mac and Rachel married in a double wedding with Blaine and Sandy well before the 20th anniversary. It makes me wonder what the audience was for the clips and when they showed it. It felt rather generic, as if they were trying to communicate to people who had never watched the show that it had everything so they should give it a try. I would have wanted both/either more fan service to remind viewers of what they enjoy about the show and/or an emphasis on what is interesting right now and what is about to happen. The 20th anniversary episode was the murder of David Thatcher and the return of Jacqueline Courtney as Alice and none of that was even hinted at!