Another World

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I do recall SOD features that looked back on these stories with cringe, but I don't know how they were received by the soap press or viewers at large when they first aired. I was a tween. Biracial, watching with a black mother and white grandparents, I'm sure the whole business resonated with me on some level. But thinking back, I can't pretend that I had any extraordinary socio-political reaction and I probably lumped Taylor pretending to be white in order to infiltrate a group of white supremacists along with other stunts like Janet masquerading as her sister Natalie.

• Members

Neither I nor my friends were bothered in the least. This was many years ago and as upsetting as it may be for some people in today's modern audiences to accept, the portrayal of interracial relationships on television was frowned upon much more then. (Please, no hate, you have to understand the way it was in order to appreciate how far you've come.) 

The plot on Y&R involved a character played by Phil Morris (later attorney Jackie Chiles on Seinfeld.) I don't remember if he was a cop or whether he was just working with them as they tried to bust a criminal ring. Morris played "Tyrone" (IKR) who dated, and possibly became engaged to, the crime boss's daughter. Although Tyrone was initially using the young woman in order to gain access to her father, he developed feelings for her. I don't think she was aware of her father's criminal activities and was, understandably, quite hurt in the end as her affection for Tyrone was genuine.

I don't recall why Tyrone instead of a White man was chosen to go undercover.

What interested us more back then was that Tyrone, who was handsome, had a threatening-looking Mr. T.-like brother, more likely half-brother, called "Jazz." I think Captain Lewis' (Moses Gunn) daughter Amy was tutoring Jazz who couldn't read (again, IKR.)

Edited by China Jones
Added some words for clarity.

• Members

Reading the NYT article about the As The World Turns episode that was being performed live during the Kennedy assassination made me think about how weird it is that none of the long-running NBC soaps were effected.  Another World and DAYS both premiered after 1963, so they weren't on air during the crisis.

I'm trying to recall if Another World ever responded to national events within the story.  John Hudson and Cameron Sinclair were veterans.  Elliott Carrington had been a war correspondent.  And, they incorporated current events like the AIDS epidemic and Designer Drugs.  But, I don't recall if they responded to breaking news events like the Gulf War, Ronald Reagan's assassination attempt, or the Stock Market crash.

I know there were stories inspired by Watergate, and other events, but I don't remember any direct references to contemporary news from the world outside of Bay City.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Lol maybe 

Lemay swore up and down that the tape storyline was just a coincidence but ya never know

Please register in order to view this content

In 1979, I think they made references to the war in Cambodia. Elliot was supposed to be covering it as a correspondent, and was “killed”, only to turn up alive on Texas. 

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

My favourite objective fact that an actor was 100% wrong about was John Considine writing in his memoir that he had worked with Anne Heche on his first day as Reginald on AW in 1986. Ellen Wheeler was still in the rôle when Reginald arrived and Anne Heche did not arrive until July 1987. (I don't think Anne started playing Marley until after Reginald's death, either.)

Please register in order to view this content