Another World

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The Chief was mentioned before Iris arrived in October 1988 and Mac learned it was Iris in May 1989 not long before the Cory anniversary.

Charles Grant as Evan showed up in August 1988 and left in October 1990. 

Derek was around from the beginning of 1989 to mid 1990.

The Red Swan started up after the reveal of Mac's death in June 1989 and carried on to some degree until about a year later when Paulina surfaces.

Olivia arrived in April 1989, found out Josie was her sister in August, and started posing for Sam in September.

Jake was shot in October 1990 and was in a coma for months afterward.

• Members

I really could not stand Hilary Edson's Stacey, as she just felt pointless most of the time. It's a shame as I enjoyed her on GL as Eve. I think killing off her daughter was a mistake in the long run. The Derek pairing was filler for me (did someone once say there were issues between the actors or am I just getting that wrong?). The pairing with Michael was a disaster. I hated that she took Mikey away from Donna, even if I was meant to feel Donna "deserved" it. When Vicky would go around town harassing her I was on Vicky's side, I don't care.

I don't think the show ever did a great job with believable siblings for Cass.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

A 4-month long coma, which at the time, beginning Oct. 1990, was said to be the longest in soap history. Well, it was when NBC forced Swajeski to write that Jake raped Marley that she (1) became furious with them & quite unhappy in her job & (2) resolved that at the end of her contract she would leave. I was going to theorize that her writing suffered from the time she began battling with NBC over it till she left. I can't remember if she left in 1991 or 1992. Anyway, I don't know if the theory will float or not. 

Oh, I loved Morgan as Cass's brother. 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Donna L. Bridges

• Members

I am utterly dumbfounded. I knew I was forgetting something. Today is August 5th. A year ago Anne Heche had the tragic accident that claimed her life. I am verklempt.

AH Vickys time in Bay City Clip 1

AH Vicky remembers Bay City Clip 2

https://shallotpeelblog.org/2023/04/09/blog-253-anne-heche-best-of-videos/

more

• Members

Well, sure that was stupid writing. Being bipolar would not make you think stupid things with no basis to them. Delusions of grandeur, thinking that you could accomplish 4 times what a human could in x amount of time, that you could afford something totally out of your range, yes, all of those but not, OH my brother & my wife are too close this is suspicious. 

I can see how stupid writing might've ruined it for you.

I don't think we knew about him ahead of time. But, I think there was some filler about the time apart, but I don't recall any useful detail at all. 

My memory is like good twin & evil twin. Some things i remember huge detail with amazing clarity, other things, HUH?!

more

• Members

CASS WINTHROP: FAMILY (anotherworldhomepage.com)

The existence of Cass's brother was mentioned as early as 1988. When Morgan came to Bay City in 1993, it was the first time Cass had seen him in 15 years. In 1994, Cass and Morgan were at odds due to Cass's paranoid belief that Morgan was having an affair with Cass's wife Frankie Frame. But as this misconception was due to Cass's illness it was shortly cleared up.

• Members

NBC frequently pitched violence against women. At one point in time they even claimed that it increased ratings. This shows up many places but the easiest one to refer to is HER STORIES by Elana Levine. 

Here's just a little blip about it in a larger essay not about it, where she indicates there was disagreement between EP/HW's at their shows & the execs at NBC about violence against women. So, it wasn't just Swajeski alone who fought with NBC about whether Jake would rape Marley or not. Others at other shows, same issue. DAYS had so much violence against women & NBC pushed a lot of that on them. 

And, this is a post from a poster at a huge AW forum on Facebook. 

@DRW50 Thanks for info on Morgan. 

Okay. Good to know. What year was Nora comatose? 

• Members

It's hard to be 100% sure at this point since most episodes are not available. I don't see daily detailed synopses in 1982 and 1983 on the AWHP so I'm assuming Eddie and Mike have not reviewed scripts. It's not impossible that there was something in there that would cover the possibility of a younger brother but it's just as likely that Cass and Stacey said they had no siblings or only older sisters and Morgan was a later retcon. I'm reasonably sure that the explanation for Cass' estrangement from the family came after Morgan's arrival and possibly didn't even reference Stacey.

I liked Grayson McCouch as Morgan but I'm not sure the character was ultimately used well. 

Thinking of sibling retcons, there was a point before he married Marley where Jake for example talked about having a brother but that was dropped and when they did introduce Kevin Anderson it was as a hitherto unsuspected half brother. I think they had considered bringing in Jake's brother earlier in order to have a replacement when Tom Eplin and Ellen left but for whatever reason they didn't, maybe because they had Scott in the hunky young man spot instead.