OLTL: Discussion for the week April 27

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've often thought that RC has selective amnesia....he often times forgets or ignores whole chapters of the show's history, like 1968-1985, 1997-2007 (when he took over).

If you look at where most of the characters he has brought back (with the exception of Tina) first appeared on the canvas, it was between about 1985 and 1997.

• Members

I'm not surprised they don't go back to older history (Frons probably thinks a Wolek is a foreign car), but my problem is that the returns they've done haven't been very well-written, or particularly relevant. I wasn't surprised by Carlo's return being a waste of time, because his entire last return in 1996-1997 was a waste of time, but I'm still demoralized about what happened to Tina's return. And this current story turning the Spring Fling into yet another rehab attempt for Todd and a John/Marty "adventure"...ugh.

For many years I was an advocate for incorporating history into soaps, bringing old characters back, but OLTL and other soaps like Y&R are currently using history as too much of a crutch to actually move story forward.

Archived