P&G shopping ATWT and GL as package deal?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There aren't only two options -- obscure channel or CBS. I think another (cable) network would be a great place for the soaps to go, and last for many years more, probably best to be shown during primetime. I used to be against the whole idea that daytime was dying, but I have embraced it and accepted it now that GL has been cancelled.

Daytime television will die, but the daytime soaps will not. They will switch mediums like the radio-to-TV transition.

• Members

It still says Procter and Gamble Productions in the credits. If anything, I think the name "TeleNext" was about being ashamed of the P&G name (what does something boring like detergent have to do with TV?) more than being ashamed of the soaps.

• Members

Okay, like, seriously? No need for the 'tude sister. And what would the front office manager be able to tell me about the company? I mean, the production coordinators/producers at GL can't even check the weather before their location shoots.

But this was back when Robert Short and Ed Trach worked at PGP, you know, the executives in charge that knew what the hell they were doing and allowed their shows to go out with a shred of dignity. BTW, last time I checked, there is no figurehead or Executive in Charge of Production at PGP/TeleNext/TeleVest, whatever the hell they're calling themselves. Unless that's changed??? I thought they phased out the position with MADD. But yeah, maybe I should call to ask them about it, so I can get transferred to the comment line!

NBC didn't have anything to do with Santa Barbara. That was all New World Television and Dobson Television. And if I remember correctly, they exhausted all efforts trying to find the show a home as well. After all, SB was an international phenom back then. And CBS had nothing to do with Capitol either! Again, Capitol was owned by John Conboy Productions. And that crazy, flaming SOB(along with that turd Head Writer James Lipton) went batshit crazy towards the end and left everything dangling in a cliffhanger, in an attempt to sell the show to syndication, which was not successful.

As far as ABC canceling Ryan's Hope, well, everyone agrees that was a colossal mistake to cancel it instead the insomnia curing Loving, but really, who's to say Ryan's Hope wouldn't have eventually been canceled for a GH spinoff? And the good thing about RH being cancelled is that Claire Labine gave GH some amazing years on the air and made the show contemporary and socially relevant.

Maybe so, but it's not like they're doing anything with the library they have now. The attempt at reviving EDGE/SFT/AW(Rauch Era) online were great starts, but that's simply not enough. PGP clearly wants something for nothing. Instead of investing its dollars into a network devoted to soap operas and their lineup or even starting their own rebroadcasting network on the new TeleNext website, they've opted for not giving the fans what they want. Surprise, surprise.

• Members

There was no attitude in that. If you thought I was being rude, I apologize. :) Like I said, your guess is as good as mine about the name change, and like I said, I don't think they changed the name because they were ashamed of GL. If they were ashamed of GL, they would have changed their production name back when Reva was a clone or Amish or talk show host lol

But like I said in my initial post, it used to be PGP/TeleVest Daytime. Doesn't anyone remember that? Photo credits also used to say PGP/TeleVest Daytime in the mags; even though there would be the PGP tag at the end of the credits. TeleNext Media probably has something to do with TeleVest, and they could have been taken over by another company because if I remember correctly, I recall reading a long time ago that TeleVest was also a French company. I think PGP enlisted them in the production of ATWT and GL. I don't know for sure.

You're right, they eliminated that position in 2005 to give their executive producers more control over the shows. As for attitude, "comment line?" Seriously? Don't be so negative.

Didn't NBC fire the Dobson's along with New World leading significantly to the shows demise. Which of course it never had that big of an audience, but still. In regard to Capitol, it did fairly well for a half hour soap. It was short lived and the point I was trying to make was that if CBS really, really cared more, they would have given it more of a chance. Instead, they canceled it and told them they had X amount of days to tie up the show and clear out the studio for B&B. Which I should add has NEVER EVER had a BOLD storyline. :rolleyes:

Claire Labine did give us wonderful years on GH. But ABC single handedly destroyed Ryan's Hope without a doubt. In the first 5 years of it's run, it won the award for Outstanding Drama Series twice and I think writing, 4 times? I think it won the award for Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series a total of 6 times in it's 14 year run. So with that behind it, was it really necessary for ABC to do what they did? NO!

Whether to share the library or not is up to them, but the bottom line remains, they want to keep their shows together, not sell them off.

Archived