B&B: Week of March 30th, 2009 Discussion

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That interview confused me.

He said some things about the state of the industry (things ARE sliding, but we have to compare to CABLE numbers...not historical broadcast numbers; soaps need to be cheap entertainment) that sounded "spot on". As a businessman, I actually trust his instincts MORE after that interview.

But then you are right...he also gushed over the creative state of his show, having his Logan family where he wanted them, etc....and one wondered if he was just spinning against popular opinion, or if he truly was that disconnected from reality. DaytimeFan has implied that there was some kind of creative recognition of things needing to be fixed in Dec/January...but we sure haven't seen that on the show, I would argue.

That said, I actually think the scene I put a cap of (above) COULD reflect a great creative move. If they play the sickness, the emotional damage...if they don't play it as "acceptable in the Forrester universe", but "repugnant, and we're going to show you how repugnant"...then B&B becomes an intentional study of psychologically ill people. I could totally get into that. But they have to play it not for camp, but as an "insiders view" into sickness. Friday gave me a bit of hope regarding that.

Anyway, it was just a terrific monologue for Rick.

• Members

Hmmm...must have been. If I still have it, I'll scan the pic. Of course, because it is on SOD's newsprint-y paper, it'll look like sh*t and you'll probably see the other side of the paper shining through :)

• Members

See, I like to forget it is a fashion show.

I like to think it is a Bell show. And then, of course, playing the psychological subtext makes sense. I'd be fine if the Forresters left fashion and went into banking :) or publishing :). The fashion part has always been the part I hold my nose for...except during the Sally Spectra "fun" parts.

That said, I agree the endless hospital/crime stories of the past year were not an improvement.

• Members

You are right. It was actually... Silly to portray fashion in daytime. To portray glamour, you need lots of money. Forresters fashion empire is a joke.

But perhaps emphasis on my post wasn't that. I just don't want to see depressing, long, drawn out stories on B&B.

I like banking. Banking show would be terrific.

Archived