OLTL: Week of Febuary 2, 2009 Discussion

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I haven't been liking the show as a whole for a while now, but when they give me bits and pieces like the Jess/Natalie stuff last week and then the David/Viki stuff today, it keeps me hanging on.

I really thought the drug storyline was going to be a good one, but so far its a snoozefest.

David Vickers is GOD to me, but this time around, I am finding it very lame. David would never let Dorian pull the wool over his eyes like she's doing and I am interested to see what happens when he finds out she's played him all along.

I must not care to much about who killed Lee/Janet because I don't know who it is. LOL

To me the show is missing balance and romance, include that into the show and it most likely will be well rounded.

• Members

Okay, well it SEEMS obvious that Wes killed Lee/Janet, but I would LOVE if that was a red herring (really, how lazy would that be?!) and the truth is Lee/Janet faked her death AGAIN with the help of Todd.

It's a win-win! We already know Lee is notorious for having aliases and faking her death to escape sticky situations. I could EASILY see Lee confronting Todd at his house and striking a deal... Todd helps her fake her death, Lee escapes the people that would be out to get her (since they'd think she was dead), and the star witness in the prosecution's case wouldn't be able to testify against Todd, thus ruining Nora's case! I would love for one more scene where Lee is getting on a plane in a trench coat and dark glasses, revealing that she's conned them all into thinking she's dead once again, until the next time her tumultuous life leads her back to Llanview.

Janet Zarish is a great actress, and I love the idea of a character who keeps reinventing herself as someone new until it all gets jumbled up and she needs to fake a death and start fresh. Something like being a chameleon, trying time and time again to get it (life) right, being everyone, but being no one at the same time because she has never tried to just be herself. The whole idea is very intriguing to me. It's something that I've never really seen on daytime before.

• Members

Yeah, what he said. I like this post. I hope this is exactly what happens.

When I first saw her lying there I hoped it was fake but my hopes became dashed as more and more people started showing up/someone must have checked to see if she was breathing. But of course there's always Romeo and Juliet "death" potion and Taylor Forrester wax dummies. Who knows?? Maybe some poor misguided character will convince themselves that they were the murderer and Todd or some other character with morals will have to confess that it's impossible since Lee's still alive.

I'm pretty much sick of Todd and even sicker of the idea of RH coming back and yo-yo'ing OLTL around again. No thanks.

• Members

See, I'm of the mind that Lee isn't really dead again. I agree with the Todd helping her fake her death once more to get her off the canvas for a bit while they finish this Todd storyline.

I can't see how anyone can find the whole of OLTL boring at the moment. Some days are boring, sure, because not all the storylines or scenes are great but considering how awful the other soaps are at the moment, I think OLTL is at least TRYING to do something different that isn't necessarily aimed at being over the top. They did that and it didn't work and Ron seemed to learn his lesson.

• Members

Asa- I agree, OLTL always has things going on and the humor is always great- the show has an edginess that none of the other soaps have. I just am not enjoying many of the main storylines.

I was seriously looking forward to a good old fashioned social issue storyline with the drug abuse, ect- and so far it is downrighjt terrible. I think that is my biggest disappointment- as well as Todd- I was a huge fan of Todd/Marty but at this point I feel the character bis played out- and knowing that Tea is leaving- I am just tired of him.

And then you add two days a week of Antonio and that Santi chick and I am asleep.

• Members

My god. Here is one of the last portions of the "Trading Places" episode from 2001

Do you guys ever watch this? This episode holds up big time.

Hilarious.

(I especially love Starr dressed up as Rae Cummings, and Linda Dano becoming Starr.- She NAILS Starr's hardcore southern New Jersey/Philly accent from back in the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SpnAovxz9k...re=channel_page

• Members

I loved Janet Zarish as Janet/Lee even back when she was still just "Janet" - her heartfelt concern for Marty after she found Ramsey dead was heartbreaking to me for some reason or another. Of course she utterly betrayed Marty later, in a horrible way. But what I thought was really fascinating about Lee was the twisted, perverse rationale she presented, both before and after Marty was rescued, about why she let Marty stay with Todd even after she learned the truth; she essentially indicated in both scenes that according to her own warped, schizophrenic mindset, where she had been so many people and skipped in and out of so many lives, "reinvention" was a fact of life and so of course Marty and Todd could do it together, even if it was without Marty's consent. Her neurosis told Lee that because she was this way, Marty and Todd should be too. That is truly sick, tragic, and very compelling. She also had some great, sly, cold-blooded scenes with Lee squaring off with the LPD. She put Michael Easton in his place during their handful of scenes.

I'm not surprised they didn't probe into how Lee survived her last onscreen "death" - because it wouldn't have held up. Mari Lynn, her daughter, shot her and she died on-camera. IMO Zarish would do well in a recurring support role on another NY soap. Maybe Palmer Cortlandt needs a love interest in his autumnal years.

• Members

I suspect because that never was the story. Janet actually being Lee hasn't changed the story in any way. Janet could have just been any con woman and her history as Lee simply wasn't really a motivating factor. I suspect they just highlighted that, when it became apparent that some members of the viewing audience actually remember the actress originally played another character previously. So they tweaked the story a bit to fold that in, but it in no way changed the story dynamics.

Archived