DGA Nominations

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

September 23 (Guilt-O-Whirl)- SW: Fran Myers; D: Larry Carpenter

September 24 (The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday)- SW: Gary Tomlin; D: Larry Carpenter

September 25 (Me Llamo McBain . . . John McBain)- SW: Elizabeth Page; D: Jill Mitwell

Ummmm....Thursday September 25, 2008 episode was directed by Jill Mitwell, not Larry Carpenter.

But tv.com does list episode #10281 as the 9/25/2008 epsiode.

Freakin discrepancies again! Hate when this happens. Makes me do extra work. <_<

• Members

TV.com's list is based on the Asa's funeral shows being the 9999th and 10,0000th episodes, as advertised. But I also remember reading Soapnet's recaps back when they used to list the episode number, and they did not list those episodes as the 9,999th and 10,000th episodes. I think it's a few shows off.

Looking at the list of shows around that time, I would guess that the episode in question would be "So You Think You Can Be Shane Morasco's Father," which aired on 10/1/08.

• Administrator

Yup, you're right. I just got word from a contact of mine and they said that episode #10,281 aired on October 1, 2008. Now the choice makes more sense since this episode was "different".

Somebody's gotta notify tv.com about their errors.

• Members

I just watched all of these episodes, and I definitely agree that it's between Noel Maxam and Owen Renfroe, those were the best episodes hands down directing-wise. Larry Carpenter's episode with Rex in purgatory was also well-directed, but I don't think it was as good.

I LOVE William Ludel, but I can't figure out how and why he got nominated for such a "normal" looking episode. This wasn't his best work, don't get me wrong, I still believe he's GH's best director. The only thing that stood out in that episode was the multiple Luke's in the courtroom, and even that isn't very special, since it's been done to death on multiple soaps.

Herb Stein's episode was a let down when compared to Maxam's.

So, for me, it's Maxam against Renfroe, and Carpenter possibly being the spoiler.

• Administrator

I uploaded all the nominated episodes. :D

Noel SHOULD win it. I have Renfroe 2nd. The action on the bridge was very good. 3rd is Carpenter.

Ludel's and Stein's episodes were pretty lackluster - there was anything special about them.

• Members

One of his favorite soap directors? Compared to who? As far as I'm concerned, no one's been able to direct OLTL the way David Pressman and Peter Miner did. Not even Harry Eggart and Jill Mitwell, and they are two of my all-time favorite directors from GL!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

LOS ANGELES – "The Office" won the top honor for television comedy Saturday from the Directors Guild of America, while the animated war remembrance "Waltz With Bashir" received the documentary prize.

Paul Feig received the award for an installment of "The Office," whose competition included two episodes of "30 Rock," the series that has dominated at recent Hollywood honors such as the Golden Globes and Screen Actors Guild Awards.

"We're in a real golden age of TV comedy, and I'm just happy to be part of it," Feig said backstage.

"Waltz With Bashir," which is nominated for best foreign-language film at the Academy Awards, is director Ari Forman's animated study of a soldier struggling to recall suppressed memories of his involvement in the war with Lebanon.

Among other guild winners:

• Reality programming: Tony Croll, "America's Next Top Model."

• Children's programs: Amy Schatz, "The Poetry Show."

• Daytime serials: Larry Carpenter, "One Life to Live."

In the running for the evening's main prize, for feature-film directing, were Danny Boyle for the rags-to-riches story "Slumdog Millionaire"; David Fincher for the whimsical romance "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"; Ron Howard for the Richard Nixon drama "Frost/Nixon"; Christopher Nolan for the Batman blockbuster "The Dark Knight"; and Gus Van Sant for the Harvey Milk biopic "Milk."

Among Hollywood's many honors on the buildup to the Academy Awards, the Directors Guild prizes have one of the best track records for predicting eventual Oscar winners. Only six times in the guild awards' 60-year history has the winner failed to take home the directing Oscar.

Nolan was the odd man out at the guild awards, the only contender who did not also receive an Oscar nomination. Boyle, Fincher, Howard and Van Sant all are nominated for the best-director Oscar, along with Stephen Daldry for the Holocaust-themed drama "The Reader."

While "Slumdog Millionaire" started as an underdog that nearly went straight to DVD, it has emerged as a potential Oscar favorite. Audiences have embraced Boyle's tale of a poor boy rising to fame and fortune from the streets of Mumbai, and the film triumphed at the Golden Globes and Producers Guild of America Awards, while taking the prize for best ensemble cast from the Screen Actors Guild.

Among awards presenters were Joel and Ethan Coen, who won the guild prize and the directing Oscar a year ago for "No Country for Old Men." Others presenting awards included current Oscar nominees Sean Penn, Marisa Tomei, Melissa Leo, Amy Adams, Frank Langella, Viola Davis, Josh Brolin, Richard Jenkins and Michael Shannon.

This was for the October 1st episode with Who Wants to be a Millionaire and I am wondering now if OLTL will submit it for best show because it is unique and different. Congrats to Larry Carpenter for OLTL.

Archived