GL: January Discussion

• Members

WUSA9 initially had Dr. Phil listed in GL's timeslot for the previous couple of days, GL wasn't listed AT ALL on their schedule, they've appeared to fix that earlier today. I read this information from a couple of fans on the Goggle Groups. It was a scheduling error, and GL is once again on the schedule.

Tell that to the folks that listed Dr. Phil in GL's timeslot, and didn't list GL at all until today...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A couple of comments. I enjoyed yesterday and todays episodes! I am intrigued by Olivia and her two mommies presentation yesterday, and today, they actually had 2 cliffhangers. Good old fashioned soap opera cliffhangers. I don't recall there being ANY cliffhangers since last Feb and today they had 2 of them. Dare we hope????

Oops - I meant Emma's Two Mommies presentation, not Olivias.

• Members

Today's show might be the best episode I have seen since they switched to the new format. Fantastic performances from Jeff Branson, Kim Zimmer, Gina Tognoni, Marcy Rylan and Beth Chamberlin.

I was so happy to see movement in not one, but two stories. Shayne finally admitted what happened to the young girl in the picture and started walking and Lizzie discovering that her mother is sleeping with her ex-boyfriend. The scenes between Lizzie and Beth were really great IMO. Lizzie acted exactly the way you would expect someone to act if they had seen their mother with their ex and while I have always been iffy on BC as Beth I thought she was very good today also. Anytime that Buzz is on the show is a good day because Justin is so fantastic, but I really like the relationship that they have developed lately between Coop and Buzz.

The best scenes of the day though, were the Reva and Dinah and Dinah and Shayne scenes. I really enjoy the dynamic between Reva and Dinah because I think there is some underlying respect there. Dinah and Reva are a little alike, neither lets anyone tell them what to do and they'll do whatever it takes to protect their families, but Gina plays Dinah as though she respects Reva a bit, if only because Reva's been doing it so much longer :lol: I have really enjoyed the scenes between Shayne, Josh, Reva, and Dinah, I think there is a very good dynamic between the four of them.

Great scenes between Dinah and Shayne, particularly the last one where she pointed out that he may hate her right now, but he's walking. I was glad that they audience was finally made aware of why Shayne has had such a chip on his shoulder since he's come back to town.

I am not the biggest Jeffrey fan in the world, in fact I can't stand him, but I found him more tolerable than usual today, and they actually set up another mystery with the guy taking the picture of Lara and making a phone call to some anonymous person.

The only misstep for me was the end, I am so over this kidnappng story and Bill and Lizzie's back and forth. I genuinely do not care anymore.

• Members

The 1/15 episode rocked!

All of the actors were amazing.

Such great couples featured.

Very well written.

I hope GL does more of this. I see so much promise for GL now.

January has been pretty good. I can't wait to see what the rest of 2009 holds.

• Members

I have heard Jill Lorie Hurst is pretty much taken over and they have demoted David Kriezman. IMO ditch Kriezman and let Hurst be sole head writer of GL. I will say I tuned in and the production format is not as bad as in the beginning. The beginning it was horrible with bad close ups, tiny sound, and shaky camera. It seems the shakiness is gone, the sound has gone up and the camera is not as bad.

• Members

I'm finally starting to enjoy GL again, almost, for the first time in many years...why does this happen when a show is thisclose to being canceled. GL has been thisclose since 1995, but this time seems like the end. :(

I never thought they could actually make me like Natalia!

Did they ever say what's happened to Dylan? Has he magically turned back into Morgan Englund and returned to Bridget?

• Members

The last week has been pretty good. Wednesday's episode was probably the best, with Bill approaching Rick to find out where Phillip is and Rick testing Beth about it before leaving the note for Bill. I was confused why they didn't follow up on that in the next episode as the previews suggested though.

I also loved the aftermath of the kiss between Olivia and Natalia, and I was glad there was a hint that there is still more there, with Olivia feeling alone when Natalia left and Natalia not really into her kiss with Frank. I loved that Olivia did not think it was scandalous what the other parents thought, while Natalia did.

The Coopers, Natalia, Remy, and Kristina are the down-to-earth real characters that the show focuses on in terms of the realistic part of its more realism+traditional soap staples formula.

I agree Rick would be a good candidate for this too though, and hope he will be featured more.

I agree that it was great to see cliffhangers the week before and I hope they are back for good.

• Members

I forgot to mention, the Maureen being caught shoplifting scene, which probably signals the launch of a new story for Matt/Vanessa and Maureen, was abrupt. There had been months of Maureen being praised by Matt as the selfless good girl behind the V8 fruits and vegetables drive, and then suddenly this came out of nowhere seemingly. But I guess it can be rationalized in retrospect as Matt and Vanessa not really paying attention to what their daughter was experiencing.

• Members

The last week of January continued the show's strong run all month, as the Spauldings affect couples and families all over Springfield in different ways, leading up to Phillip's return.

I liked Lizzie's trying to be like Alan and then coming back and realizing no, while she was a Spaulding, there were still things she stood for. Somehow I don't think we've heard the last of wanting to close Company though ...

Bill's dream sequence where he got his memory back was well-handled and eerie without breaking the new GL's semi-realistic style. We probably also saw the "running across the field" this week that the bloggers did when they visited Peapack.

It was touching to see Billy come up the mountain after Bill. It was also nice suspense to have the viewers thinking at first that it might have been Phillip rescuing Bill after Bill hit his head. Bill telling Billy (or was it Daisy, I don't remember?) that he went up the mountain looking for someone to help Lizzie and then came down realizing that someone was himself was a great insight into the character, and a sign of a well-written story overall. Too bad Bill still did not tell Lizzie this though when he saw her later.

Continued amazing work from all concerned regarding the reaction to finding out about Beth and Coop!:

- I loved Alan telling Beth what he would do and what he was thinking while pretending he was talking about something else. I loved the content of it too and what it said about his character -- that he thought about walking away and then realized no, he would fight for what is he. I loved his conversation with Coop about Coop being a "liaison." I also loved how Alan finding out was followed by his meeting with Olivia and Natalia about Emma's living arrangement -- nice tie-in of storied.

- I loved Lizzie going "you know too? why didn't you tell me?/did they announce it to the whole town?" to everyone, as she realized just how many people know already about Beth and Coop -- Rick, Lillian, Buzz, etc. I liked Lizzie telling Beth she's still not over Phillip, continuing that thread of Lillian thinking the relationship with Coop was about Phillip too.

- I loved the funny, believable, touching scene of Beth's mock-"should I be jealous?" reaction and Coop's "I don't know, but whatever gets you more like this" when Coop revealed Blake thought the book was about her.

- I liked Frank and Coop continuing to be at odds about how dangerous the relationship was.

- I liked Coop's elation at Beth saying she will break up with Alan, and their naivete thinking Beth could just split up with Alan and they could get together later without Alan figuring out.

Great to see Olivia rallying Natalia to fight for their family despite Alan wanting Olivia and Emma to move out, which also paralleled Alan's own fighting too ...I also like that Olivia seems to still be considering that she might be attracted to Natalia, while Natalia seems a bit too fervent in her denial. It's interesting that Christina also assumed that Olivia and Natalia were a couple. Oh, and I was LOL when Olivia was all "Lesbians? Come on, say it with me, Alan, it's not a bad word."

It was nice to see Matt in a couple episodes, interacting with varied characters including Josh, Billy, Bill, Dinah, Frank, Natalia, and Daisy. They are continuing to lay the groundwork for some kind of Maureen teenage acting-out story. I liked Frank warning him to stay away from Natalia, and then later to stay away from Beth, LOL. I liked Matt's what's up with that reaction to Beth and Coop, and Frank saying well you know all about an older woman and a younger man, hehe.

It's good to see Daisy continuing to be a confidante for uncle Bill and to see her offer to help with Maureen. She has great advice for others, too bad she can't see what is wrong with Grady!

On the negative side, Cyrus is being a real bad-boy these days ... He doesn't care what he is doing to Lizzie (or Bill), he just wants her money ... Is the show writing him into a corner? How many people can he con? I do still like his charm and his loyalty to his brother though.

Also, the earlier part of the week was stronger than the latter. I still don't like one-note-bitter Shayne. I hope we see Edmund interacting with Beth, tying in to Phillip's return, now *that* would be interesting. I do like Reva taking Dinah up to the Bauer cabin though, it is interesting to see those two characters interact.

Continuity also remains somewhat an issue, with snow in one scene on Friday and then bright sun with no snow on the ground later in the episode.

An "A" for the first half of the week, B+ for the second half, comes out to an A- for the week. Overall for the month, I would give the show an A- too.

• Members

Agreed, it was a good week...just shows what a little good writing can do. I just hope that we have time to turn the ship around. Hopefully Bloom can see her culpability in the problems and hold off for a while.

Don't mind the snow, not snowing thing. I know its part of the process and can ignore it.

I want to see a Matt/Blake hook up!!!

Why do we have a Bauer cabin but no Bauer kitchen/house?

• Members

I'm catching this discussion on the end since today is the last day of January, but I wanted to say that I agree with your whole post. Olivia being all "Lesbians? Come on... " was one of my favorite lines of the week.

When Frank said that, I thought to myself, it's not Matt you should be worried about! ;)

I'm looking forward to Phillip's return and hope they move in the direction of reuniting him with Beth. I also hope they let Bill/Lizzie be happy for awhile. It's kinda getting tiring seeing them "fight" to be together.

My GL wish for February is for the Otalia story to move forward. I would love to see Olivia gear up to fight Alan/Phillip over Emma and Natalia rally to her side (you know, as a friend). I want to see Natalia continue to date Frank for now (I love the buildup to the couple!). It's classic soap opera. Person A (Olivia) is in love with Person B (Natalia), but Person B doesn't know of Person A's feelings and denies [her] feelings for Person A. So Person B tries to make herself love Person C (Frank), the sensible, nice [guy]. So Person A turns to Person D (Rick). Person B realizes that [she] is jealous of Person D, but doesn't understand why. Until it all comes to a head! I want it to maybe even get to the point of Frank going to propose to Natalia. He's all excited and talking about it to Buzz and Mallet (since Coop is gone). In the same episode, Olivia and Natalia are fighting and Olivia blurts out to Natalia that she's in love with her [Friday cliffhanger]. Olivia kisses Natalia and Natalia doesn't immediately pull away, but eventually does and says they can never be. Natalia tells Olivia that she needs to get out of there and runs to Frank. Olivia starts drinking and falls asleep on the couch. In the meantime, Frank is talking to Natalia about his feelings for her, but all she can think about is Olivia and the kiss. Just then, Frank proposes to Natalia [Monday cliffhanger]. The scene on Tuesday starts out with someone coming to Otalia's house. Because of other scenes, we're led to believe that it's Rick. When the door opens, we see Natalia coming home and seeing Olivia asleep on the couch. Natalia goes to cover her with a blanket and sits next to her. Natalia watches her sleep and goes to brush Olivia's hair back from her face and we see that she's not wearing a ring! She leans down to kiss Olivia [but more like a peck], but is still somewhat struggling with her feelings, so she goes to get up and walk away. But as she's getting up, Olivia grabs her arm and stops her. Natalia finally admits that she loves Olivia too and they finally give in to their feelings!

Yeah, you can probably tell that I've given a lot of thought about where I'd love for this story to go and how I'd like for it to happen. But it's just that I haven't been this excited about a GL couple/story since Reva/Josh/Annie. This story is also the first time that I've liked Natalia, which further validates my belief that it's not always the characters, but the story that's written for them.

• Members

Whoa, I love your idea for how Natalia would come to realize her feelings. I also like how you pulled Rick into it, although poor Rick and Frank will hopefully find love for real at some point.

Mitch, glad you liked the week too! Good point about the Bauer cabin.

• Members

At this point I think they should just pull as O and Nat and have Rick and Frank pair up.."Springfield Goes Gay!!!"

Maybe the cabin will migrate to SF just like Cross Creek did and we can have a place for Rick to live. There is a discussion on another board if they even reconstructed the Bauer kitchen for the new production process.

Archived