MTV's Primetime

bandbfan

• Members

Over the last week I was flipping through the channels in the 8 and 9 pm hours. I always stop at MTV to see what's on.

It just seems to me that they really don't have anything going for them. The only "popular" show that they really have is the Hills. And it wouldn't even be around if they hadn't had Laguna Beach. Likewise for the City and "Bromance" (shudder).

I may be mistaken, but to me it seemed that 5-10 years ago, MTV actually had a "decent" lineup. There was almost always a Real World or Road Rules on (back when they were better). They had a show on pretty much every week night, and they used to have to use the whole two hours for shows. Take the Hills for an example now. We have re-runs before the show. And then the "aftershow" (shudder again) and then they show it again after that. That's pretty much how every night works. I'm surprised everytime they re-new the Hills just because the cast seems so over it. But I guess $$ talks. And nothing against Whitney, but I don't know if she can carry a show by herself.

The challenges have just gotten bad. I admit I still catch a few episodes, but I don't really care about a lot of the newbies. And even if you liked somebody on their original show, they may make a complete jackass/b!tch of themselves on the new stuff.

I think they need something new and fresh and actually be devoted to it. MTV used to be more edgey, but it seems like everything on now is pretty tame. I guess theres A Shot At Love, but I don't think anybody takes that seriously. If anything, I think the viewers would be more accepting of a show like Undressed. (Whether or not that's a good thing is another topic). They don't HAVE to have something in the "reality" genre. Make a teen/college age drama that's on the edge.

Guess I'll stop rambling, but that's how I feel about the state of their lineup.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What I'm saying is that they used to have more than just one show a night. And they've been making shows hour-long now. We didn't need hour-long Real Worlds when it was good. And even their recent bigger rated shows (bigger being very subjective) like Hills and Laguna aren't/weren't hour-long.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

New article about MTV's lineup.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111799766...yid=14&cs=1

Basically says they've lost about a quarter of their 12-34 demos in everything, including their prized Hills. And are launching 16 new reality shows. Ugh. And they're doing something I wondered about...expanding their "new" programming block to two hours a night. Supposedly they're wanting to move to shows that look and feel like the Hills, which the "semi-scripted" stuff.

Archived