Y&R: Gloria Spoiler

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The only reason Victor doesn't just go all out with Abby being his daughter is for Abb's sake. He didn't want to fight for custody of her and take her away from the only father she's ever known. And I'm pretty sure that Abby will get half of everything Brad has everything from Ashley so Victor giving her the same amount he gave the grandkinds won't have her in the poor house.

Oh and I still think he'd be pissed that Abby was burned by the cream.

• Members

The dreaded tainted cream fiasco finally comes out! But the interesting thing I'm reading is that Jeffrey's motivation for turning over gloria is that she recants her testimony for River. so the catalyst for this fallouti s an unselfish act. This leads me to think that Gloria's not going to jail long-term. And they just did a whole Gloria down-and-out thing and she found her karma and all that stuff.

I think Jeffrey's going to be out soon though. I can't see Jeff and Gloria reuniting after this esp with River around the corner. And what woman in GC would want Jeffrey, Gloria's ex? Nikki? Nope. Ashley? HA! The only woman in town who would TOUCH him is Jill - and that would be just to change his gender. And personally, it would seem that Jeffrey would have to die to serve her history. Every man Gloria's ever married is dead (she never married River, right?).

• Members

It would be pretty typical if they turned yet another Michael story into a Gloria story by focusing an a relationship between Gloria and River, but I have a feeling they are going to write River out since they have pretty much dumped this ill conceived story after a month (October) on the front burner. Michael dealing with his father issues could have been interesting but they turned it into a joke. What started as an exploration of Michael's doubts at being a good father as he and Lauren expected Fen turned into the misunderstood guru who was separated from Gloria and set up by her. Along came bratty Eden who is yet another character for Michael and Lauren to prop. The writers completely lost sight of the heart of this story in there never ending need to center this family around Gloria.

Maria Bell has been given all kinds of deserved kudos for what she has done for the Abbotts, Chancellors, Newmans and quad but she really flops when it comes to the Baldwins (Lauren and Michael only). Maybe because they put absolutely no effort into their relationship. And now they Fisher Baldwins will once again be centered on a Gloria story for no doubt months.

• Members

What you see as a flop is something I see as a great thing. In my view MAB is correcting an error. Michael Baldwin was a supporting character from his debut in 1991 till 2004 when Jack Smith really changed the landscape of character importance (a move that, essentially, became his undoing)...I enjoyed Christian LeBlanc's turn as a Lead, he was great and I still think he's a great actor and I love Tracey Bregman. LML made 2006 and 2007 "The Baldwin/Fisher Family Hour" which was just disgusting to watch.

I prefer them as supporting characters who can still carry a storyline, just that it's a B story, rather than an A story. Michael Baldwin is like Neil Winters: necessary but supporting.

• Members

From your lips to God's ears. What a vile, vile, vile character.

For a poster I love to read, I can't believe how much I disagree with this.

Michael and Kevin can be phenomenal. The whole 'Terrible Tom' story was "A", front-burner, awesome, and earned Emmys for the principals. When written best, both Michael and Kevin do well because they are damaged, often do wrong, often struggle to do right.

I think the objection was that they DOMINATED the show. (I didn't mind that actually, but I'm weird that way). I think they can be in the mix of A stories...I hope they are.

• Members

I don't disagree that they can be phenomenal. They both won well deserved Emmys...without questions (although CJB's win in 2007 was random to me)...my issue is that I think, especially in Kevin's case, the source of A story material is gone (Terrible Tom is dead!). To do another storyline that shows why Kevin is so F'd in the head would be overkill.

Michael is a character I always liked watching, when he was bad. When he's written as a 'good' guy I can't stand him. That's not the Michael Baldwin I know and love...that's a dull character. His marriage to Lauren has RUINED him (as well as Lauren)...if those two could have a really nasty divorce with a custody battle that Judith Chapman's Gloria (who I also enjoy, but in SMALL DOSES) had no part in I'd be all for it. Tracey and Christian could do GREAT work with a storyline like that. They are the epitome of the soap cliche: what's interesting about a happily married couple? NOTHING!

As I see Y&R now, I am delighted with the show and although Michael and Lauren are both carrying B storyline I am extremely happy with what I see onscreen. If MAB feels that is where Michael and Lauren need to be then I'm all for it. You can't be front burner all the time: just ask Jess Walton.

Archived