The Politics Thread

• Members

I'm not too crazy about Garofalo, although I give her and a few others like Mike Farrell some credit for speaking out against the Iraq war at a time when doing so meant a lot of ugly backlash.

This is interesting timing, as Cain just said any black person who votes for a Democrat is brainwashed.

The media seems more focused on how Obama was rude to black Democrats in a speech and this means they may not vote for him. According to the media, black, Hispanic, and Jewish voters are all just waiting for the Republican to arrive.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

*waves to Brian up there* That's a well-rounded post expelling the myth that all Republicans are bigots. It just simply is not true, but there is still a healthy segment of the GOP that are, as evidenced by the Tea Party.

On another note, I am happy it appears Perry is stumbling, he peaked too soon. I am seriously thinking the eventual nominee STILL is not in the race. The current field I just don't know how any of them can beat Obama, but the way the race has been going, it may be discouraging to some from getting in. In which case, the US will be stuck with Obama for another four years. There are worse things in the world, but he does not deserve another term, he just doesn't. From a Canadian standpoint on the foreign policy file, that's where Obama gets most of my support, but that is quickly fading. His ambiguity on the Israel question is troubling, and the way he seems to be hot to reopen trade debates between the countries is troubling. He is back onto the "Buy American" strategy, he is trying to steal away some of our sovereignty with Canada and USA's new Integrated border strategy (although our current PM is not standing up to him on that). So, Obama's lone saving grace with me is starting to falter. I really hope the Republicans get their act together and find someone who can beat this inexperienced idiot.

• Members

With all due respect Carl, this is such an absurdely incorrect statement, given the leftist journalism going on at Talking Points Memo (whom you just cited) and MSNBC.

Adam, what is really disgusting is that Obama knows that his re-election is highly likely (due to the weakness of the Republican field), and as a consquence is not even trying to be an effective leader (since he doesn't have to be in order to get re-elected). Instead, all Obama is doing is just demonizing the opposition in order to switch the subject as to just how incompetent he truly is.

There's only one Republican in the race who terrifies Obama, and that is Huntsman. Although I previously believed that he has zero chance of getting the nomination, I am beginning to re-evaluate that assessment. The fact that Perry has stumbled so badly is one reason for this change in opinion. Furthermore, Huntsman is now at double digits in NH primary polls (where he was at only two percent a month ago), so he clearly has momentum on his side. If the Republicans want somebody electable, they don't need to settle for the phony Romney (who would still have an uphill battle against the president, although he at least would stand a chance). Instead, they can choose a mainstream conservative like Huntsman who has never flip-flopped on issues such as abortion, gun-owners' rights, and government-run healthcare.

Edited by Max

• Members

There are rumors going around that Mike Huckabee is going to jump into the race, because of the weakness of the field. He has denied this but others say he still may join. That would piss the elites off something fierce - they loathe Huckabee. I'm not a fan either, although I can see his appeal.

The conservative blog Redstate spent yesterday baiting Sarah Palin about why she hadn't met her own deadline for announcing whether she would run for President. It's pretty crazy how she managed to turn so many conservatives against her.

Meanwhile, meet our new welfare queen - school lunches!

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/10/montana-gop-rep-worries-poor-people-are-bilking-the-school-lunch-program.php?ref=fpa

• Members

Soapsuds, you are so funny!

Regarding Huckabee, he would make a strong opponent against Obama (because Huckabee is a great communicator who has the likability factor going for him; this would completely negate Obama's strength in these areas). While it would be hypocritical if he changed his mind and decided to run, it wouldn't be nearly as damaging for him as it would be for Christie; that's because Huckabee only once said he wouldn't run, whereas Christie said it countless times. I personally don't think that Huckabee will run (though I hope he does change his mind), because he made the same calculation that Christie did: to sit 2012 out (thinking Obama will be too tough to beat) and wait for 2016.

Edited by Max

• Members

2012 will probably be easier for Republicans than 2016, as Obama has a lot of baggage and who knows what 2016 will bring for either party.

Meanwhile, Rick Perry is facing controversy because his family's hunting lodge, or what was once their hunting lodge, was called by a racial slur. I should warn that this article prints out the slur.

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/10/herman-cain-rips-into-rick-perry-over-n-word-named-family-hunting-parcel.php?ref=fpa

Herman Cain has responded, saying that Perry having that lodge was "insensitive."

I wonder what the reaction will be. Perry (who says his father crossed the name out when they bought the property and it isn't his place now anyway) may become a martyr to those who feel this is "PC" or "playing the race card" or "reverse racism." Cain may get some backlash. Or maybe this will all be ignored.

• Members

I totally agree with this, especially the bolded point. In recent weeks the rheteric against the other side has been ratched up big time in Obama speeches, while at the same time it is becoming even more unclear where exactly Obama stands on some pretty pertinent issues. I suspected from the time he got the nomination that this man was all talk and very little action. He has the big ideas necessary to lead a country, but he so far has not come through on one of them. How is it his base isn't even more angry at him? What has he accomplished since taking office? I would argue nothing substantial. As has been discussed time and time again, its unheard of in American history for a President to be re-elected with such a terrible economy and the unemployment rate as high as it is. I am a Canadian, and while alot of us up here like to pretend we can survive just fine without a strong US economy, the simple truth of the matter is we can't. We can't vote for this man, but essentially his policies trickle down here. Our economy is still "ok", relatively speaking, but quickly going downhill. All it will take is another big shock down south or over in Europe to send us into a tailspin.