Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It's really frustrating to see people intimidated from running for office.  I'm not sure who should be responsible for stepping in, but someone should.

I grew up in upstate NY, so the continued lack of diversity in that part of NY/New England doesn't surprise me. It's so rural for the most part, there is no real reason to move there.  Maybe it's changed in the last 25 years, but I doubt it. Most of that region is a place young people flee if they have any ambition at all.

Speaking of shameful things.

• Members

I'll be honest I'm not really sure what truth I'm supposed to be getting from this DNA test.  She had a Native American ancestor 10 generations ago it would seem, but isn't the truth that she basically lied about being a minority?  It may not be serious but we've seen the way Trump mocking people is very effective. I'm not sure that's changed.

• Members

David Frum said it best, "When highly committed parties strongly believe in things that they cannot achieve democratically, they don’t give up on their beliefs — they give up on democracy."

The Republican Party no longer believes in democracy, the Constitution, or the rule of law. They are actively working against this country, many of them with the backing and blessing of a hostile foreign power.

• Members

^^ I saw that yesterday on social media.  Needless to say, how I miss that man!

NBC is once again having to explain its questionable ethics and overall lack of integrity.  I'm glad I stopped watching most programming on NBC years ago.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Why work so hard at trying to humanize these people?  Why can't these media outlets try to interview the people who are actually suffering because of Trump's awful presidency?  The elderly and young people of color, LGBT, etc. whose lives are being harmed/lost to racist aggression? The people who feel more marginalized than ever after Trump took office.

News outlets like NBC, The Times and even NPR are helping to spread that white male victimization narrative that the likes of Trump and Kavanaugh have capitalized on.

• Members

Are they trying to get ratings by showing a freak show? I'm not watching, but I used to suspect that's where the fascination with Nazi types came from on the part of the media.  Beyond that, it's really not that interesting or anything we haven't heard many times before.

• Members

I think they are obsessed with the idea of the "heartland." Joe Sixpack. NASCAR dad. Flyover country. To them these people are just the newest strand. They can cluck their tongues yet secretly yearn for what they believe is the average male identity of today.

Beyond that, NBC News is run by conservative white men. They likely share more of the views of these men than we realize.