Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Need to decompress but I wonder how easy it's going to be for black people especially to ever trust a white person again. Especially seeing how it's likely some of those who were allegedly counted on for support, betrayed us all for the sake of either making a protest vote, not voting, or protesting by voting for Trump. Regrouping is going to be difficult.

• Members

So do y'all think that Hillary was disliked, dare I say "hated", so much that people voted for DJT?  I don't understand this.  I really don't.

How the [!@#$%^&*] am I going to get any work done today, I have no idea...

• Members

To me, there was a confluence of things.

White America has really severely disliked Hillary for decades. I don't know whether it was the "not baking cookies" comment or taking back Bill after the affair but the fact that White women abandoned her, says a lot.

Many bore a grudge against Obama, never accepted him and seek to stamp out his legacy. Don't let the popularity/approval ratings fool you. People will say one thing in surveys and do another at the ballot box.  There is a contingent that is especially bitter that Obama won a second term and sought ways to obliterate any chance of a defacto 'Third Obama term' in a Hillary Clinton administration.

Also, some Black millenials (and some Whites) complained that Obama let them down, didn't do enough-- forgetting completely the obstructions he had to face.  For me, the one mistake Obama made (if you can call it that) was to believe that Republicans would be reasonable and respect him as Commander-in-Chief and work with him to pass actual legislation. Nope.  Well, those who think that Obama fell short, are really going to learn that it can get much worse.

Please register in order to view this content

The real "rigged system" was the voter suppression that went on in many pockets that had minority populations. For every voter that went to the ACLU or NAACP to lodge a complaint and asserted their rights. Many more were dispirited and gave up. The repeal of the Voting Rights Act, meant many GOP headed states were free to close or, move many voting stations out of urban areas with a more diverse/minority population in favor of suburan/exurban less diverse/Whiter communities.

It's downright dispiriting that the media is underplaying or not reporting the role of voter suppression, voter intimidation in all of this.

That is going to be a rift for some time to come. Also immigrants. I know some recently naturalized U.S. citizens who voted in their first election yesterday and they are dispirited, depressed. I haven't the words to tell them.

Charles Blow is on Twitter right now tweeting that he is struggling for words. In response to someone to tweeted @him to talk about white supremacy and anti-blackness, he said:

" I've written about this so much that I'm not sure that I have a new way to discuss it. It exists. It's a problem. America doesn't care...

Many people, including me, feel a breach of trust. I feel more self-conscious of the gulf between what people say and what they do. What people say to my face versus what they are saying when I'm not in the room. What 'they' truly think about me despite their words and rhetoric.

• Administrator

Maybe it's  too early for this, but I need hope.  Does the Democratic Party have any good "prospects" for 2020? It would be poetic justice if it was a Hispanic who defeated Trump in 2020.  What about Michelle Obama? Would she ever consider running? Trump winning shows you don't need experience. 

• Members

There are prospects. But we're going to need to tack to the left and tack strong. There's a portion of the electorate that respects the illusion of strength before anything else, and not all of that is Trump's base.

The potential achilles heel for the GOP here is this: Trump does not believe in Republican principles. He has no core beliefs in anything other than himself. Five, ten years ago he was chummy with the Clintons and espoused liberal values because they were popular. He already considers the GOP establishment traitors who did not genuflect to him. He doesn't care about parties, he cares about himself. If a smart Democrat in Congress gets in his ear the right way, they can turn him, flatter him and cajole him towards less disastrous policy. All he cares about is attention, and anyone can coax and work him. Kellyanne Conway has done it all summer and fall.

I'm not saying he will be turned into some sort of liberal president or great guy. That's never happening. But Trump can be worked and semi-managed, and it is possible to make him relatively ineffectual. Possible, not probable. That's what Paul Ryan has thought all along and it's what we can and likely will have to do to mitigate some of the damage. We will need someone to play lion tamer to Trump on the inside of the government while quietly building some kind of new, unified and aggressive resistance out here.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Honestly Hillary was a weak candidate - that's what the numbers consistently say. She lost all of the states that Bernie picked up in the primary, which more or less forecasted her failure. Combine that with the emails and that was more then enough for a failed bid for the presidency. Another potential red flag was this mistaken belief that white women would not support their white men in those red states. I think these polls need to take into consideration that not every woman is a individualistic vote. I think if anything this underscores that in those deep red states, and even the ones that leaned Trump, that those women will support their men. No matter what. IT's a value's based decision based on their lifestyle choices and upbringing.

• Members

I don't think Michelle Obama is going to want to see the inside of Washington for many years, if ever. She was viscerally horrified by Donald Trump and this is a profound dishonor to her husband and his legacy.

I do think this is the man who could potentially actualize her as a politician running herself, someday, after her girls are grown. I wouldn't mind that. But mostly I just want to see her vindicated someday.

Edited by Vee