Any Capitol Fans Here?

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks for reading. I wonder how he felt about Trey becoming more of the straightforward leading man.

It's too bad he didn't find a better role after this than the short run as Max (which he seemed to be really invested in, along with Fiona, but it was wrong role/wrong place/wrong time). He is and was a very handsome and dominant presence.

BTW, let me know if you ever want me to post the black and white Constance scans from the article you posted - it turns out I have the same issue.

• Members

Would you believe me if I told you that I knew you were talking about KBH before I even watched the clip? :lol: Yeah, that's the original Julie, Catherine Hickland replaced her. (Slightly OT, but I was really taken by CZ's big, beautiful brown eyes in that clip, reminiscent of Rebecca Budig's... though verging on Liza Minelli with all that lash and liner).

:P @ "after hours discovery"... I guess that's when Jordy first encountered his true love Leanne, she was a dancer (you've probably seen the clip where she and her sister Kate are arguing on the Clegg staircase and she falls to her death).

Whoa, NW dated her?? For years, I've only known that face as Dorothy and Stan's daughter (Kate #2) on The Golden Girls. Just about two week ago, I saw her for the first time ever in something else when she started popping up in Two Close for Comfort reruns on Antenna TV. Then to see this. That's a lot of new Deena Freeman information for me in a relatively short period of time. ^_^ I'm about to look it up, but I wonder if she ever did voices for cartoons because I feel like I've recognized her voice elsewhere.

• Members

A couple of the younger actors were replaced early on, like the original Julie, the original Matt and the original Thomas. The original Tyler was eventually replaced also, but he stayed on a little longer. Wally/Bill Beyers was the only McCandless son who was there from beginning to end. Now that I think of it, the only actors to have lasted the whole run of the show (were not killed off or replaced, even temporarily, recasts, or joined the show later) are Rory Calhoun, Constance Towers, Bill Beyers, Nicholas Walker, and Debrah Farentino. Let me know if I left anyone out, but I think it was just those five.

• Members

CT, wouldn't you agree that the first Thomas was a more traditionally handsome soap leading man? The second, better known Thomas (seen in the clip above with Lizbeth, Tonja Walker) was more gawkward. And do you know how long the original Sam, Robert Sampson lasted? I've only seen him in the premiere movie. I know that Egan shared scenes with Carolyn Jones, so he must have joined during the first year, but I wonder if it had been months or even weeks before Sampson was replaced. I think Egan was a better fit for the role if I'm judging solely on looks/demeanor.

• Members

I did not like the original Thomas (Brian Robert Taylor) too stiff I thought they recasted Thomas with an older actor so he could compete with Trey for Kelly Haroper.

Todd Curtis (Jordy) was also an original cast member.

Edited by shadow

• Members

Yes, the original Thomas was the more traditionally handsome, "hunky" one, as was the original Tyler. However, their replacements were the better actors.

I think Robert Sampson was only in the pilot, but I could be wrong. Egan still counts as a recast, although, for all intents and purposes, he created the role.

As for Paula, Julie Adams first appeared in '83, I believe. She was the only person to play Paula, so she could count as an original cast member, as could Ed Nelson, although he left a few months before the show ended.

@Shadow: Yes, Todd Curtis was an original cast member, although he had a few temporary replacements (Grant Goodeve and Russell Todd) And speaking of age, I wonder how old some of the characters are supposed to be. Here are my guesses:

Judson Tyler: Has to at least be in his 70s, though Rory Calhoun was actually only about 10 years older than Constance Towers, who played his daughter.

Clarissa: Late 40s to early 50s

Baxter: Early 50s

Thomas: Late 20s, possibly 30, as he was a practicing doctor and not a med student or resident.

Tyler: Mid to late 20s

Matt: He said he was 27 during a scene when Baxter and Jeffrey (the older Baracquan guy who was Baxter's friend) tracked him down and told him he was Prince Marim. This was during the last month of the show.

Wally: Late teens to early 20s

Sam Clegg: Late 50s to early 60s

Myrna: Same as Clarissa

Trey: Early 30s

Julie: Mid to late 20s

Jordy: Same as Julie, since they were twins

Brenda: Late teens

Mark Denning: Mid to late 50s

Paula Denning: Around the same as Myrna and Clarissa

Sloane Denning: Mid to late 20s

Kelly Harper: Mid to late 30s

Zed Diamond: Mid to late 30s

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

It is! The site owner Claudio used to post at WoST. He also had a WoST-like video section that he updated rather frequently, he's got a lot more stuff that he hasn't put on YouTube yet. Most of it's dubbed in Italian, naturally. I mentioned it upthread, but he had an Italian special from when I guess Capitol was cancelled/was about to end its first run in Italy where they interview the actors who dubbed the main characters (I could make out the host asking the lady who dubbed Myrna what were the differences between dubbing for Carolyn and Marj which I thought was such an interesting question and I was bummed that I couldn't understand her answer :lol: ). There were also pre-taped interviews with Marj, Constance, and John Conboy that the host would cut to and they were dubbed over but maybe if I had turned my speakers ALL the way up I could have heard the faint original audio.

• Members

That sounds fascinating. I guess it says something about the show that it inspired such passionate fans. You notice that this seems to be the case mostly for 80s soaps. I guess the glitz and glamour era had international appeal. It's too bad this never helped enough money-wise to keep them on the air.

I do keep looking for stuff...either I don't have the issues yet or it didn't get as much coverage as the bigger soaps.

I don't know why but I always get a little bit weirded out when I see Deborah Farentino with Nick. I can see why people assumed he was her father.

• Members

LOL, I know. I was a little shocked when I first found out they'd been married. And I wondered if he cheated on Michele with her. I dunno. I guess they weren't together all that long. I read an interview of him about ten years ago (geesh, time flies) and he was talking about how he got a bad wrap for stalking Nancy Sinatra ( :wacko: ). I don't know what their relationship was like, but at least Deborah got a great last name out of it. :P Not exactly sure how to pronounce Mullowney, does it rhyme with bologna?