What in HECK happened on the View Today???

Southofnowhere

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I do see yyour point, but i do not agree with you. What about the AA people who are hurt when even other AA people say it? And is it ok if someone is mixed to say it? Even if the appear more white?

Its a word that promotes hate. Even if that isnt what you mean you say it thats whats attached to that word.

I feel the same way with gay people using horrid words people use against them as a term of enderment to use to eachother. Again i understand both sides. On the one side its letws turn this word that was create to bash me into a word that emans something great. But at the end of the day, you cant.

Its also a word that no parent should allow thier chiuld to say. As an adult one can almost fully, if they try, to understand the emaning of the word and the history attached to it. But as a child? no.

This is one debate where really i dont feel either side is right nor wrong. Thats what amkes it so touchy, IMHO (well, aside from the obvious)

• Members

My side is more in line with Sherri's. (Shutters at the thought). I grew up in Brooklyn, where the word was used around my home, in my neighborhood, at my school. The word seemed to follow me. I used it as a teen and of course I put it away when I was preparing to do bigger things with my life but the word is still there, though put away. I wont lie, I may use the word when on the phone with a relative or friend and I expect that AA's and even gays can relate. Gays call eachother F's as well. I dont expect anyone who hasnt ever been called the word to understand that. It is what it is.

• Members

IMO, I think it promotes hypocrisy. It's one of those words that just shouldn't be used - ever.

I have a very good friend who's black, and she has occasionally used the N-word in very casual manners. It's a conversation killer. I hate hearing anyone use it, no matter how positive it's connotations are supposed to be. I can't understand how anyone can use a word that has derogatory, hateful, vile connotations as something positive between people who it was initially used against. And I know what it's like to be on the end of hateful, derogatory words, and I have never considered reversing their meaning and using them on other people... no matter what the context is.

Hate is universal - you don't have to be black or gay to understand that. And anyone who has been on the receiving end of hateful, derogatory words, should be able to relate. I find it kinda insulting that someone could assume that a non-black person wouldn't be able to get that.

• Members

This is a stunning revelation. :D

I've never used the word nor do I intend to but I understand how commonly it was used up until more people took issue with it. I don't really care if it means something different when certain people say it as opposed to others since the original definition and intent is never going away.

I think it's hypocritical of anyone to say I can use this word but you can't. I heard someone say that use of the word empowers him because he can say it in a room full of white people and there's nothing they can do about it and I found his reasoning idiotic. It's not that they can't do anything about it, it's that they risk causing a commotion using the word but how stupid of him to want to make a group of people uncomfortable so that he could feel a sense of control over them. Now that's certainly not progress.

• Members

I don't know how it got categorized as an argument...possibly because Elizabeth Hasselback ended up in tears and much was made about that. But the argument, cat fight, or however else it is being labeled refers to the discussion on The View.

I guess it's similar to how that WNBA fight is being referred to as a brawl when it hardly constitutes a brawl and how ESPN tried to paint Danica Patrick's weak little verbal exchange with her female competitor as a cat fight when it was clearly a lopsided exchange with DP getting bleeped and the other woman throwing a towel in DP's face twice with nothing but more word from DP in response.

The media loves to hype nothing.

• Members

I've learned to avoid racial discussions with people who don't know me pretty well simply because it's such treacherous territory, primarily because the only way I can attempt to understand how an AA feels about issues is to try and relate based on my own experiences, and AA's are quick to point out that nothing I've been through compares, so I usually wind up shooting myself in the foot. EH would do well to learn that lesson. I don't like to hear anyone use it, but I have no right to tell an AA person how they should feel about it or whether they should use it. I don't think they're trying to make use of the word "great" or positive, but I think maybe they're trying to take the "power" of the word away and reclaim that power for themselves.

Archived