What in HECK happened on the View Today???

Southofnowhere

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wasn't the arguement last week? Or did something else go down today.

What happened last week is they started discussing Jesse Jackson using the N-word when he was caught making those comments about Obama and then Whoopi and Sherri think it is okay for black people to use the word but not anyone else then Elisabeth started crying.

I might of missed part of the story though.

• Members
Big surprise. :rolleyes:

From Perez Hilton (bc I don't wanna say it incorrectly):

He said that EH "doesn’t understand, and, no offense — I don’t think any white person has the right to tell a black person or to even weigh in on subject matter such as that. They don’t know what it’s like to be called that word; they don’t know what it’s like to be black.”

Diggs continued, “They can have an opinion, but… don’t take a word that you created and called me for many, many years, and then me being in my position, have the strength to change what it means in my own culture. Don’t try to take it back now. Now it’s ours. Leave it alone.”

I just thought it was interesting that he said that no one has the right to weigh in on the subject matter unless they are black. I thought that was an strong stand for him to take. He's married to a Jewish woman (Idina Menzel) and he thinks that unless you're black, you don't really have a say. So I don't really think he sees it as much as an us v. them, but just that its a choice that the black community chooses to take individually not as a whole, and that's their prerogative, no one else's.

I know that I cringe when any other race says it, but I don't really ever consider when a black person says it what I think about it. I guess I thought it was interesting what Taye Diggs said because I also think it isn't anyone else's say other than the black person that chooses to say it or not. I won't sit here and say that it should never be used and how awful rap music is for using it. But I will say that when I listen to rap, I don't sing along to that word when it comes on. Its a term of endearment to some people and its a term of degradation to others within the black community and it all depends on context. Its one of those weird gray areas.

• Members

I don't think anyone should use the N-word, but I do think if black people want to use it they can and no one else has a right to use it. I don't see anything positive about using the word, but its their right.imo I don't however understand why some white americans don't get how hurtful it is when they say N-Word to an AA, its like you stabbed us in the gut when you use that word towards us because it was white american slave owners that made the word negative. That word is not the same when one AA american says it another AA, it doesn't hold the same negative aspect to it. But again I don't use the word and I don't think anyone should.

Archived