The Doctors

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

1970's episodes are out of order. You have to watch the dates as you watch the show.

I am enjoying the show. Even Ira Avery"s time there were some good stuff. Some didn't like his material. He doesn't last that long. I have said before that the Pollock's do a lot of recapping and flashbacks but I am still  loving their stories. Makes it hard when you binge watch like I do. I fast forward during those.

• Members

Me and my husband, who I managed to hook on. We are coming into March 1968 and I am rating the show 10/10. It's really becoming my favorite soap opera of all time. Can't believe I am saying this. Days ago I didn't even know about the existence of this show. 

Thank you for giving me heads up for 1968. I am happy that it will be a strong year. I am scared that the quality will degrade at any point. It's just TOO good.

• Members

Karen is a disgusting home-wrecker. She is literally trying to destroy a happy marriage. She is lying and plotting. I hope she suffers A LOT in the show. She deserves it. Karma is a b-tch and people like that do NOT DESERVE happiness. 

• Members

Homewreckers on soaps are pretty common. I wouldn't say it's even close to the worst thing a character did on this show. In fact, what's to come for Karen is *much* worse, but I won't go into details because of spoilers.

The quality dips when Rita Lakin leaves the show, but it's still watchable. The Pollocks wrote the show I think 71-75 and this was a very popular time for the show. They did some good work but the stories tended to go on for a long time with lots of repetition. Once they left and the show began looking into transitioning to an hour they expanded the cast, sets and storylines and while some didn't work, I do like the overall change to the show as they began to expand things.

• Members

That's putting it mildly, lol.

For me, the number-one issue with the Pollocks' work (and not just on this show, but later on DYNASTY as well) is how they reduce characters to one-dimensional "saints" and "sinners."  If you are a "saint," you are saintly to the point of being a sap; and if you are a "sinner," there's no rhyme or reason to your villainy; you're evil, simply because that's what the plot demands.

Between the simplistic writing and needless repetition - I swear, there were episodes of TD during their time there that were nothing more than flashbacks to previous episodes! - I just couldn't take anymore, and I bailed until I knew their work had concluded on RetroTV.  Unfortunately, when I came back, I still found the show annoying to watch, but in different ways, lol.