The Doctors

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Posted (edited)

I've been trying to finish the 1968 episodes. Pamela Toll has been a highlight! She definitely was an appealing performer! It's unfortunate that they never really found a proper story for her. She's either involved with characters that are way too old for her, like Nick, Althea, Steve, and Carolee, or being stalked by weirdos.

To be honest, I'm not sure her character ever really fit in to the show. I guess she was on to serve the youth quota, but they never really treated her like a normal youth. They never gave her any youthful stories or friends her age, which in 1968 was 20. Maybe had she turned out to be Matt or Maggie's daughter, or Maggie's niece, it would have felt more like she belonged. Instead, she feels like one of the show's short-term characters who should be, or should have been, written out when their arc is done.

Edited by Jdee43

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

https://shallotpeelblog.org/2021/06/24/blog-50-renata-adler/

It begins 

CANARIES IN THE MINESHAFT: Essays on Politics and Media. by Renata Adler. St. Martin’s Press. New York. © 2001. “Afternoon Television: Unhappiness Enough, and Time”

“You have to tolerate extremes of hatred and loneliness to follow, Monday through Friday every week. through a still unterminated period of months, the story of an educated man so bitter that he kills himself solely to frame another man for murder. Yet there is an audience of at least six million at two-thirty every afternoon New York time (other times across the country) prepared to watch this plot line, among other plot lines, develop on “The Doctors,” a television program of the genre soap opera, or daytime dramatic serial.” And, this is no joke. It is for fiction a single act of rage and isolation like this imploded revenge, a suicide caroming across the board. “This contriver of his own death to make it look like someone else’s literal crime has, …detonated incalculable threats in other lives.” “The Doctors plays this all out”. For all I know, this might happen all the time. But “The Doctors” has a special instance here.

And it goes on but it's not all about the current story on this show. 

• Members

I'm watching the December 1968 episodes. There's a blooper in the episode labeled Dec 17, 1968 at 4:14. Pamela Toll's Liz, locked in a room against her will, desperately tries the door again for what seems like the 100th time. Only this time when she pulls on it, the door actually opens!! Toll quickly closes it and leans against an adjacent wall, crying! I guess she knows she's supposed to be stuck in that room for some time! Too bad no one told the door that

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Jdee43

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I am obsessed with this show. Can't stop watching it... after starting... I didn't even want to start... I just played the first episode. 

Now I'm 14 episodes in and I am OBSESSED.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I never watched The Doctors when it came on originally but I am enjoying it now. True soapy goodness in every episode. Rita Lakin is a great writer. I loved EH as Lucinda on ATWT but she is great here. She deserves every accolade she gets!

Edited by ClassicsSoapFan