Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

On the positive side of today’s scenes:

- There was far more caring, loving Robert than I’d expected. Don’t try to tell me that he’s just manipulating Aaron or only wants him for sex. It’s become far more. It’s also obvious to me that if he pulls away it’s not down to being fickle, and it’s not what he wants to do.

- Lucy and Ryan were both very good. It’s always better to see Chas with bite than whining and pouting, and Robert was genuinely panicked and desperate throughout the episode.

- The location work was wonderful, especially the faraway shot after Robert put his coat on Aaron.

- I didn’t mind the Bob/Carly scenes as much as many did. I thought they were an interesting contrast to Aaron and Chas, and I actually think this is a case where less was more with Aaron/Robert/Chas.

- I'm still invested in Laurel's story, and having so much of it be about lack of trust along with her drinking problem makes sense.

On the negative side:

- I still don’t believe Robert would kill Chas. Whoever directed this episode pared it down as much as they could to try to make us see that it was pure rage and in the heat of the moment - and that is in character for Robert - but it is still just rushed. And I still have no idea whether they are doing these things to make us see Robert as a villain or beyond redemption, given that he has many other moments of caring. It just feels like a stunt and along with Danny’s new interview, makes me continue to believe they have no real idea where this story is going.

- Chas’ character is really being sacrificed to add to drama. She’d never do all that smirking while trying to find her missing son, and she’d certainly never say all those “You’d better give Chrissie one last kiss goodbye,” theatrics while her son is unconscious and being taken away in an ambulance. She would be far more concerned than she was today. It was baffling. This isn’t real life but you can still write characters true to their nature. Otherwise we lose our connection to them, and to the show.

- My eyes went back in my head when Finn was talking about being tired of Darren texting him so much. He and Darren have only been back together a few days and already it's moved on to Finn wanting to break up. What is WITH the writing in this story? It's just terrible. I've rarely seen a soap relationship that takes place 98% offcamera.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Chi... My sister, Kenya did not want that bum, Apollo, so you can stop that. Harmless flirting never hurt anyone, and it sure as hell ain't hurting Phelony, who is doing Mr. Chocolate.

But getting back on track, Michael is MY man. OK. We double date with Carl/Ryan all the time. Now you calling me out about cheating on Jussie but weren't your just with Andre? What happened to that? Mmmhmm.

Now I'm the honey up in these nutty as cheerios so stay in your place.

beyonce-hair-flip.gif

Oh? So now you're trying to claim my husband too? You husband humping hussies.... :lol:

• Members

I'm really not happy with a lot of this Alicia/Lachlan storyline. I feel like it if were on another show besides ED I'd be tearing it apart. I worry that women will not go to the police because of this storyline. I'm also wary of the idea that we should wait until we see remorse from Lachlan. Thomas Atkinson is a very good actor but I don't know if I can take a story where they tell us Lachlan is the true victim, or he is a victim too, especially since Alicia will probably be the one to comfort and support him.

• Members

Lachlan is a victim of modern technology, but Alicia is more a victim, and I hope that distinction is made clear. Lachlan needs to have the epiphany and realize the horrible thing that he has done, but I hope Alicia will not be "comforting" him, and I hope no-one gives him too much of a free pass. When Lachlan is eventually truly remorseful, can they really touch on the subject of how damaging viewing adult material is for kids. It's a complex subject, that's for sure.